Thank you for your question. It appears you are playing a modified version of Aggravation. The original rules from Hasbro call for the use of one die. The player must move only one marble the full amount on the die. If the player can not move the full amount of the die, his/her turn is over.
Other keys to moving your marble according the the original directions are:
- You can only move a marble out of the "base" and onto the "start" space with the roll of a 1 or 6.
- You get an extra turn when you roll a 6.
- You can jump over or land on an opponents marble (aggravate it) but can't jump over or on your own marble.
- A "aggravated" marble (one that has been landed on) is to be placed back in the "base" area to be started over.
- You can use the "star" and "center" spaces for shortcuts. However, the center space must be landed on and the roll of a 1 is the only way off the center space.
- You must move all 4 marbles into the "home" area by the full roll of the die to complete the game.
Here is a link to the directions: http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/Aggravation_(2002).pdf
. My personal opinion on your situation with the 3 and 4 dice rolls is that he could chose which marble to move 3 and which to move 4. But, the full use of the amounts of the dice must be used and the total on one die can not be split by two different marbles (a 4 die can't be split into a 2 and a 2).
Hope this helps and doesn't "Aggravate" you more! :0) Have fun playing!