i don't have aviator. here's explorer, should be the same.
You will see a small rectangle where the screwdriver goes in. You are pryingtowards glass. The retention is about a 3 inch rectangle that has a lip around it that snaps onto a rectangle on the mirror body.
SECTION 501-09: Rear View Mirrors
2002 Explorer/Mountaineer Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Exterior Mirror Glass
Exterior mirror glass is serviceable only on vehicles built after July of 2001.
Passenger side exterior mirror shown, driver side exterior mirror similar.
- Position the glass in the full up position.
- Locate the notch at the bottom of the exterior mirror glass.
- Release the exterior mirror glass.
- Insert a long flat-bladed screwdriver in the notch.
- Push the screwdriver into the notch until the glass is released. (and pull screwdriver towards glass)
- Position aside the exterior mirror glass.
- Disconnect the electrical connectors.
- Remove the exterior mirror glass (17K707) passenger side or (17T675) driver side.
- Connect the electrical connectors.
- Position the exterior mirror glass on the exterior mirror motor.
- Place a hand against the back of the exterior mirror housing and a hand flat against the exterior mirror glass. Press the glass in place until fully seated.