Question about Microwave Ovens
Having 20 year experience fixing microwaves i know that when the fuse goes that if you can't find a melted wire or overheated components on the circuit board that the high voltage capacitor at the back needs to be replaced. Sometimes you have to replace the magnetron too. You can replace the door switches if you like, microswitches are inexpensive but would only be bad if arced inside so bad that you read over 1 ohm.
Posted on Nov 25, 2013
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
sounds to me like the magnatron has shorted out. i don't know of a way to test them unless you have some high dollar equipment. a continuity test prob wont tell you anything. what reading did you get on the cap when you tested it?
Posted on Jan 06, 2008
For future reference, we regularly repair such control
boards and displays for
customers nationwide by mail for $39.95 postpaid in about a
week or so with a one-year guarantee.
Here's the main service manual. Other versions are here and here.
It may be grease inside one of the switches or arcing conductors (usually due to opening the door while it's cooking) making it sticky.
This was made by Sharp, so the side panel should come off each interlock switch for inspection.
But looking at the schematic, the monitor switch cannot come into play under normal circumstances unless the door is shut and the secondary interlock (relay RY2 on the control board) is closed and (oddly, if the published schematic is to be believed) if the oven lamp relay RY1 is closed .
Everything seems to point to a bizarre problem like maybe an intermittent short of a wire to the chassis, perhaps where a wire passes through a hole or guide in the sheet metal.
Also, you might consider unplugging the hood vent motor and trying it.
Did you try it with the oven powered from another outlet?
Also be sure the neutral and hot are not reversed at the outlet and that the line voltage is correct.
Sometimes a loose neutral can be a factor. Test outlets in several area of the house to see if some are high and some are low. This can be dangerous, and the power company must be called.
If there is anything else on the same breaker, that can be a factor.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
William E. Miller
Posted on Nov 29, 2009
SOURCE: My Magic Chef microwave tripped a breaker,I found a melted door switch and replaced it, the other three test ok.With the door closed everything works like new. When the door is opened the breaker blow
The only thing I can think of is check to make sure all switches are aligned correctly otherwise you will keep tripping the breaker, I'am certain that one of your switches are not properly in position.
Posted on Jul 08, 2012
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 30, 2014 | Microwave Ovens
Mar 26, 2013 | GE Microwave Ovens
Apr 02, 2012 | GE Microwave Ovens
Aug 05, 2011 | GE Profile Over-the-Range Microwave
Nov 30, 2010 | General Electric Microwave Oven
Jun 25, 2010 | General Electric Microwave Oven
May 12, 2010 | GE JE2160 Microwave Oven
Jul 13, 2017 | General Electric Microwave Oven
Mar 11, 2009 | Goldstar MV-1501 Microwave Oven
Aug 31, 2008 | GE JVM1850 1000 Watts Microwave Oven
Oct 21, 2017 | In Microwave Ovens
86 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!