Fan started vibrating then came on without anyone turning it on..would not turn of the the light came on tried to turn it off couldn't then the light started going on/off..unplugged it plugged back in and did the same thing..what do I do now?
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert who has finished #1 on the weekly Top 10 Fixya Experts Leaderboard.
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
Re: not turn off
Follow this test and fix it. God bless you
Inspect the power cord
Unplug the power cord and check for voltage at the outlet. Also inspect for damage, shorts, or burn marks that can be a possible safety hazard.
Bad door switch
If your microwave does not work at all and you know everything is plugged in properly and the outlet is functioning, then also check the door hooks and the door release button. Using a volt-ohm meter on RX1, check your terminals. When your microwave door is closed you should have a reading of zero. Once the door is open the reading should change to infinity. If these readings do not match up, replacement of the door switch is necessary.
To determine if your fuse has blown out, which may attribute to your microwave not running, you need to pull the fuse out using a pair of fuse pullers. Lay it down and using a volt-ohm meter on RX1, check both ends of the fuse in question. If you do not get a reading of zero, then you will need to replace the fuse.
Bad fan motor
Locate the fan and remove the leads. Again using the volt-ohm meter on RX1, check the terminals. If an infinity reading is displayed, it means that the fan has gone bad and requires replacement.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The problem could be a failing magnetron or control board. The tingle may be traceable to a faulty receptacle installation - one with a floating ground or incorrect wiring such as reversal of the hot and neutral lines. The vibrating sound seems to be one of the quirks of GE microwaves.
your oven shut down because the magnetron got too hot (has a resetting thermal switch) .. it needs a constant and high flow rate of cooling air .. there is a fan that blows air over the magnetron fins ... sometimes the plastic frame that holds the fan becomes warped or broken .. the fan then doesn't deliver enough air to where its needed ... the squeaking noise however may indicate that the fan blade is either hitting the frame or the bearings in the fan motor need lubricated ... the fan is most likely the problem .. you can replace it or Lube it and repair any broken mounts .. make sure the fan turns freely and is aimed correctly .. use a light machine oil (intended for very small motors) or sewing machine oil .. not wd40 or oil with teflon .. your magnetron will be damaged if it continues to overheat .. you can gain access to the fan by removing the cover but do so only with the power disconnected and taped so no one can plug it in while you are working .. when plugged in there is potentially deadly voltage and current available inside .. . there are indeed two fans .. the vent fan and the magnetron cooling fan .. the loud laboring noise often happens if the magnetron is shorted or if the high voltage diode or voltage doubler capacitor is shorted ... but since your machine is still working until it gets hot i suspect those are not he problem yet but may be eventually damaged without cooling air flow .. that model GE did have problems with the fan mount and that in turn damaged some magnetrons ... the lube in the fan bearings generally is reliable up to 5 years depending on use .so that could be the problem as well
There are two possible sources; the fan, which may have a loose sleeve bearing (fan must be replaced), or a transformer with loose laminations. The latter is a rare occurrance since most transformers are 'potted' or treated with epoxy resin.
After pulling the plug, the housing will be fairly easy to remove with a half-dozen or so screws around the edge of the back panel.
If the fan is then accessible, you could block the blades with any insultating material and briefly turn the unit on.
Keep fingers clear of ANY part inside; danger of electrocution.
If the vibration is missing, then the fan is at fault.
I thought I had answered this, but maybe the reply didn't post...
Could you be more specific about what you tried and what the noise is like - where it seems to be coming from?
It looks like on some of these models, the high-voltage section emits some interference which some people are blocking with a foil or metal shield. If they do that, they should definitely insulate it to prevent shorts.
Another cause of vibration on these models is a fault in the stirrer located above the cover on the ceiling inside the cooking cavity.
Feel free to post back so we can help further.