Suddenly have carbon monoxide type smell, edges of heat exchanger are black from soot, looking at flame when running it is actually lapping outside the firebox.
As i said, it suddenlt developed, check exhaust pipe up through the attic and roof where if has worked for years, no obstruction. Light a candle, blow it out, hold it near the exhaust and it sucks the smoke right up, reasonably certain I do not have a exhaust pipe problem.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get to try the service completely Free afterwhich it costs $6 per call and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The flame rollout switch is located in the burner box on the left side on an upflow model. There are two wires connected to it .between the two connections is a small red button. Depress this until you here a small click. This should reset the switch. These
switches usually open because the flame is "rolling" back instead of being drawn into the furnace.start furnace and check for flame rollout.when the main blower fan comes on if you notice any change in the flame turn furnace off and call a qualified service person as this could indicate a cracked heat exchanger and could cause carbon monoxide to enter the house a potentially dangerous situation. I strongly urge anyone with a gas appliance installed to have a good carbon monoxide(CO) detector installed also. Hope this helps.
If you have a cracked heat exchanger this will cause the flames to rollout and trip this switch. Its meant to stop the furnace from running and putting carbon monoxide in your home. Watch the furnace as it tries to light if when the gas valve opens and flame is established it should go into the tubes heat the heat exchanger and then your main blower motor will come on. When your main blower comes on is usually when you see the flames rollout and trip that switch. If this happens you can either buy a heat exchanger or new furnace if its a older unit Obama still has that awesome tax credit til 12-31-2010.
Hi, this is a very dangerous condition and is the cause of many carbon monoxide poisonings or deaths. Please do not use this heater. The smothering is caused by a restricted heat exchanger not an over fired flame. You need to have the heater serviced or replaced before using. The heat exchanger would need to be pulled and cleaned, it is possible that flu is also restricted with soot and would need to be cleaned as well. I'm sure the gas company red tagged this unit for good reason. Good luck.
I would be concerned that exhaust is not venting properly and the soot is getting into the fresh air side of heater. Have unit checked for carbon monoxide presence in fresh air ducting. Heaters use a heat exchanger the is heated by the furnace and fresh air is blown through yje exchanger to be warmed before it gets out the vents. If the exchanger is damage or rusted through the good and bad ai can exchange creating a serious/ life threatening condition. I recommend professional inspect and repair and have a carbon monoxide detector in place and functioning. Be safe and good luck
you probably have a cracked heat exchanger which is causing the rollout switches to trip.even the tiniest of cracks will cause the fan to blow the flame back into the unit and cause them to trip. check the heat exchanger for even the tiniest of cracks if so replace it. and be sure to have a carbon monoxide alarm in your home.