- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Overheating problem. What is happening is that the laptop is getting too hot and the graphics chip is suffering as a result, which is why you are getting the display problems. if you persist in using it, the chip will eventually die on you.
You need to dismantle the laptop until you can access the motherboard heatsink and fan assembly You also need to have some thermal grease to hand.
Remove the heatsink and fan, clean out the dust and lint from the fan housing, the heatsink and the cooling grille. Clean the top of the cpu and apply clean new grease (about a 2mm ball of it will do). Also clean the heatsink pad that touched the cpu.
Check the thermal pad (if present) that sits on the graphics chip is not damaged and make sure it is in place before refitting the heatsink and fan assembly.
Rebuild the laptop (you can get some good instructions off google if you look for your model)
Hi John. You have already tried the usual test, which appears to eliminate the VGA cable, the inverter and the screen (assume you pressed the correct FN and number button to swap to external display?)
What you are seeing, and I'd hazard a guess that this is an HP/Compaq laptop, is the graphics chip beginning to fail. Typically caused by the laptop overheating, the cooling on the chip heatsink is inadequate and eventually, the chip unsolders, requiring "reballing".
You may be lucky however, if you strip the laptop, remove any dust from the heatsink and fan area and if you have some good quality cpu grease, remove the cpu heatsink and clean/ reapply new grease and re-assemble, also check the cooling pad on the gfx chip (looks like a blob of blu tack).
If this fails, a reball will be needed (approx 60 quid)
Almost certainly a clogged cooling fan , vents or build up of dust on the cooling fins. You will need to gain access to the CPU fan and remove the heatsink assembly, blow all dust out of the cooler matrix, clean the fan blades and the cooling vents. Clean off any thermal paste on the cpu and regrease with new paste, refit and reasemble.
You CAN cut corners by cleaning it "in situ" but a thorough cleaning is advised.
Eventually if not cleaned, teh graphics chip will fail with overheating
No it is not normal for the graphics to fail unless the heatsink and fan are so badly clogged. The cpu will stand temperatures of up to 90 degrees but, it gets the main body of the cooling and the graphics chip does not get as well cooled, what happens is the graphics chip then suffers and the solder "bed" it is fixed by melts and the chip detaches.
You may be lucky and by cleaning out the cooling components get it working, but I suspect the motherboard has been damaged now
From your description I would be certain that the is a faulty fan and it is not cooling the CPU chip properly. When the CPU over heats the CPU shuts down (this is known as a thermal shutdown) and won't boot up again until it has cooled down. If this fault is not fixed then eventually the CPU chip will fail. Replace the faulty fan to fix this problem.
The eMachines M5105 is notorious for failing to boot if left unplugged and powered off long enough for the battery to become mostly discharged. Plugging it in to AC power will cause the battery to start charging; and the hard disk drive to spin while the CPU cooling fan cycles on and off vigorously. THE UNIT WILL NOT BOOT UNTIL THE BATTERY IS NEAR FULLY CHARGED; then THE AC DISCONNECTED; and then THE (charged) BATTERY REMOVED AND RE-INSTALLED! Most units will boot after following the foregoing procedure.
yes big time need cpu fan to work and new greese big time turn it on hi on bios if u can also buy acooling pad on ebay labtop cooler pad keep it cool these so hot killed power chips in it now bad mobo least get that cooler on ebay ok
Sometimes depending on the version of BIOS there is a thermal shut down feature,If the CPU gets to hot it will shut the entire system down.What you can do is replace the CPU fan and apply more grease in between the heat sink and the CPU chip.If this does not solve your problem then you may have damaged the CPU.the best way to fix this is to replace the motherboard and CPU.Try replacing the fan first because if your computer has the thermal shut down feature then chances are that it protected the motherboard and CPU from any damage.Try the simple things first! GOOD LUCK.