Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My Kenmore microwave model # 721.66339011 has a strange burning smell when on for 45+ seconds. Tried cleaning it but still smells

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Cheetah:

    An expert who has answered 20 or more questions within one hour.

    Night Owl:

    An expert who has answered 10 or more questions between 12 midnight and 6am on the same day.

  • Expert
  • 72 Answers

GET IT CHECKED UP///LOOKS LIKE SOME THING IS WRING WITH UR TRANSFORMER INSIDE UR OVEN...
I WOULD RECOMEND NOT TO USE IT UNTIL THE PROBLEM HAVE BEEN FIXED...KEEP IT UNPLUGHT FROM UR POWERPOINT

Posted on Oct 18, 2013

6 Suggested Answers

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

rickzilla
  • 706 Answers

SOURCE: burning wire smell

Hello jvtmad1,
All of the previous comments are relatively good ideas but let me offer some additional advice,
First off, You need to determine if the burning smell is coming from the Microwave itself or from the receptacle that provides power to it. Most wall receptacles are rated for 15 amps and should easily handle your microwave ovens power requirements. A simple check might be to run a hair dryer on the same receptacle without the microwave plugged into it. They draw comparable power so that should eliminate the recptacle as the culpret, On the assumption that the burnt wire smell is coming from the microwave itself, then your best bet is to return it to the store for a repair or replacement. Unless you are properly trained on how to sservice that, you probably shouldn't attempt it. As stated in previous comments, it should still be under warranty. If you have a bad filament transformer, magnetron or the wiring between them, that is not something you want to fiddle with yourself.
In summary, eliminate the receptacle on the wall as being the problem first.
If you find tha your receptacle is the problem, then you may be able to remove or disable power to it by switching off teh appropriate circuit breaker or fuse.. then take off the face plate and check the integrity of the wires going to that receptacle and making sure they are tightly secured to the terminals of the receptacle. I would assume that if that were the problem, you would notice a burnt smell as soon as you took off the face plate. Hope some of thes ideas help you resolve your problem...
Regards,
Rick

Posted on Nov 22, 2008

bobotfel
  • 236 Answers

SOURCE: Burning smell from Microwave

If you clean any appliances always plug out the unit power supply do spray any liquid in the unit that can enter inside the control, instead just wipe it with rug not spray. In this situation you have to call for a qualified technician. Maybe there are some wires that burned or rust in the control that cause the short circuit inside the unit..

Posted on Dec 30, 2007

  • 70 Answers

SOURCE: JVM 1660WB 003 GE Profile Microwave humming sound/burning smell

the magnetron the unit has gone bad.sometimes there is burning smell as u mentioned.it is little expensive repair arond $ 150.00.find out the price of new unit plus iistallation/delivery chg and then make a decision.

Posted on Aug 18, 2009

  • 4088 Answers

SOURCE: The microwave starts, then stops after a few seconds, and smells

Remove the cover after pulling the power plug. Check the transformer and large capacitor for signs of overheating. If they look ok, then remove the sheet metal wave-guide from the area where the energy enters the cooking cavity. Under the wave guide is a fan-like device called a stirrer that has a plastic bearing. This stirrer bearing is commonly arced over (when the oven is operated with nothing to heat in it). Usually the bearing looks good, but has arced internally. Replace the stirrer as a unit. The machine can be operated with the case off and a cup of water for a load, but keep you hands clear. Look for smoke.

Posted on Sep 07, 2009

heatman101
  • 43501 Answers

SOURCE: microwave smokes and smells like burning plastic

Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips
http://www.fixya.com/support/r5508031-microwave_oven_basic_troubleshooting

heatman101

Posted on Aug 07, 2010

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Microwave smell like burning rubber


Good Afternoon Friend,

I understand that you are receiving a burning rubber smell from your Frigidaire microwave. I also see that your appliance will run for a couple of seconds, and then you hear a weird noise, followed by a burning rubber smell. I suggest contacting your local authorized technician, especially when dealing with your microwave. They will be able to diagnose your appliance and determine what is causing that sound as well as the burning rubber smell. Hope this is helpful.

-Best Regards-
WP

Jun 17, 2014 | Frigidaire Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Burning smell and loud grinding noise


If that grinding noise sounds a little like gargling into a coffee cup, that's a defective magnetron.

You can download GE owner's manuals and installation instructions here.

You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number from the tag on the oven here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jan 09, 2013 | GE JVM1441 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Anyone had a problem with burning smell from kenmore microwaves


No you are the 1st to post this that I have seen. I would not operate it until you take the cabinet off and locate the source of the smell, it can be a fire hazard.

Jan 25, 2012 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My Kenmore 721.626222 which I have had about 6 years, runs but does not heat. There is also a strange smell - something like a burning smell.


When the oven does not heat, the problem is usually due to the magnetron failing. It the part that generates the microwaves that heat the food. It fails by shorting out causing a loud buzzing noise. The burning smell is the being magnetron overloaded due to the short. It not worth fixing since the replacement cost of a magnetron is close to the price of a new oven. Sorry.

Feb 09, 2011 | Kenmore 62622 Microwave Oven

3 Answers

Microwave smokes and smells like burning plastic


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips
http://www.fixya.com/support/r5508031-microwave_oven_basic_troubleshooting

heatman101

Jan 25, 2009 | Kenmore 64663 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burn at bottom of microwave


First try cleaning the burned mark off. Dip a scrubber in lemon juice and sprinkle salt on it; this is also great for burned coffee pots. The smell can be gotten rid of this way: Boil lemon peel in water, then put the water in a spray bottle. Not only will it make your microwave smell fresh but the lemon oil will make it easier to clean. If it still smells of burning rubber, take the back off and inspect the wiring. IF you see burned wiring, please do yourself a favor and replace the microwave!

Microwaves work by making the molecules in food get "excited"-they move more-meaning, if there IS rubber burning, then there will be minute molecules of rubber in your food, which is BAD for your immune system. If it's just burned chocolate, though, it is harmless unless you are allergic.

Apr 03, 2008 | Danby DMW1400 Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Burning smell , Microwave not turning off


the control circuit shorted out from the cleaning session and kept the microwave on so long with nothing to cook that it has cooked itself I'm sorry to tell you. Probably not worth repairing

Dec 27, 2007 | Kenmore 62702 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning smell from Microwave


If you clean any appliances always plug out the unit power supply do spray any liquid in the unit that can enter inside the control, instead just wipe it with rug not spray. In this situation you have to call for a qualified technician. Maybe there are some wires that burned or rust in the control that cause the short circuit inside the unit..

Dec 27, 2007 | Whirlpool MH7135XE Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

61 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9047 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

75797 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...