Question about Brother HL 4000CN Laser Printer
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: Print quality bad
To clear white vertical lines from printed documents follow the steps listed below:
NOTE: The use of non-Brother or generic toner may cause white vertical lines.
Brother strongly recommends that customers do not use generic drum units and/or toner cartridges, or refill their Brother toner cartridge. Each Brother laser printer is designed to work at pre-set temperatures that are matched exactly to each of our individual toner formulations. Each individual component is designed to work with the other to ensure quality and reliability. Using non-Brother supplies may affect the hardware performance, print quality and machine reliability.
The Brotherlimited warranty does not apply to any problem that is caused by the useof unauthorized third party drum units, toner cartridges or toner.
1. First, power OFF the unit for safety. The ON/OFF switch is located on the left, rear side of the unit.
2. Open the scanner cover by pulling the blue lever located below the control panel toward you and lifting the cover. Make sure the cover is completely open.
3. Remove the drum unit by holding each side of the drum by its handles and gently lifting the drum forward (toward) you.
4. Place the drum unit on a drop cloth or large piece of disposablepaper to avoid spilling and scattering the toner. Make sure thedirections and DR-250 stickers are facing you.
5. With the drum removed from the Brother machine, clean the laser glass. The laser glass is located inside the Brother machine where the drum was located. It is a piece of glass, about 1/2 inch wide and approximately 8 inches long, located on the bottom of the inside. Gently wipe the glass with a clean soft DRY cloth. DO NOT use isopropyl alcoholor any liquid to clean the glass.
6. Gently pull up on the mauve lever to turn the toner cartridge toward you until it stops. Remove the toner cartridge from the drum unit by gently sliding it out of the drum unit. ***Handle the toner cartridge carefully. If toner scatters on your hands or clothes, immediately wipe it off or wash it with cold water.
7. Gently rock the toner cartridge from side to side five or six times to distribute the toner evenly inside the cartridge. Then, reset the toner into the drum (be sure it clicks into place). Gently push on the mauve lever to turn the toner cartridge away from you until it stops.
8. With the DR-250 sticker facing you turn the drum upside down. There is a blue tab located on the right side. Slide the blue tab back and forth seven times to clean the corona wire. When finished, make sure the blue tab is locked to the right side of the drum.
9. Reset drum unit in Brother machine. Close the cover securely.
Print the help list to test the unit by pressing the REPORTS key located on the control panel and then (1) on the dial pad.
If the white vertical lines still continue, the drum unit will need to
If the purchase date of the original drum or replacement drum is less than 90 days (within the warranty of the drum), contact Brother Customer Service Center at 1-877-Brother (1-877-276-8437) . The center is open Monday-Friday, 9:00am to 7:00 pm EST, excluding holidays.
Posted on Dec 27, 2007
1) Are you sure it is the printer, not the software application ?
Try printing a single "Hello World" message from "Notepad"
If there is no blank page at the end of it, the problem is in
the specific software app: Office, Word, Excel, etc...
2) What application are you printing from?
a) Check the page and print setup.
b) Make sure the application's "page size" and the printer's
paper size are consistent. Pay special attention to
metric paper sizes vs English:
E.g. A4 vs Letter
If the page with margins is bigger than the paper, it will
generate a new page, even though there are no visible
characters on it.
c) Check the print margins within the page setup:
In MS-Office: File ---> Page Setup --->
d) Add a single character to the very bottom of your
document, and see if it wraps around onto the last page.
Microsoft office applications are notorious for wrapping
the last PARAGRAPH character onto the next page if
it does not quite fit onto the paper.
e) if you are using MS WinWord, go into options and set it
to display all special characters:
Check to make sure that there are no page-breaks at
the end of the document.
Also look for extra paragraph marks/ carriage returns,
and check the format settings on the last paragraph
mark in the document:
Page brake before...
Keep lines together ....
Widow and orphan control ...
which can cause the last paragraph mark to generate a
new page. If the last paragraph mark is not formatted
the way you want it, make sure that you save the
TEMPLATE after you change it, since this is the
DEFAULT setting for all new documents.
Finally it is also possible for Windows applications to look
different on the screen than the final print due to small
(but cumulative) True Type Font (TTF) computation erros,
such that a 10 page document on the screen can actually
page-split in weird places printing as 11 pages.
I have the identical model of printer, and it does NOT seem
to have any settings for printing banners or adding separator
pages, at least not in my printer driver, but this is NOT to say
that the applications you are using are not causing this
I hope this gets you started.
Please rate my answers.
Posted on Jul 01, 2008
The print heads don't appreciate being out of ink so the Brother printer has sensors to prevent that but the tape defeated that prevention. Maybe more cleanings or maybe a cartridge with printhead cleaning solution will help. Otherwise, I fear a new printer.
Posted on Jan 08, 2009
Obviously there is nothing wrong with the printer, because you are able to print from the Internet.
Before attempting to print from word, excel etc, make sure you have the correct printer selected (check it through FILE MENU -> PRINT ->PROPERTIES)
Do a print test by typing just couple of words -may be in different color-
Best of luck
Posted on Sep 22, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 29, 2016 | Canon Office Equipment & Supplies
Jan 17, 2015 | HP PS C4780 All in One InkJet Printer
Nov 16, 2010 | HP Officejet Pro L7780 All-In-One InkJet...
Oct 26, 2010 | Office Equipment & Supplies
Apr 09, 2010 | Lexmark C510 Laser Printer
Oct 21, 2009 | Samsung CLP 300 Laser Printer
Dec 20, 2008 | Xerox Phaser 8400 Laser Printer
Sep 07, 2008 | HP OfficeJet 4215 All-In-One InkJet...
62 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!