Question about Computers & Internet

3 Answers

Are certain restore disks interchangeable?

My wife and I both have Compaq Presario Laptops.......mine has Vista Premium and she has XP Vista capable and my daughter has a Compaq Presario with Vista Home Edition..we have restore disks for both of the Vista Computers but not for the XP............my wife needs her computer to run our business, can we use a Vista restore disk to get his up and running again until she can get her own set of restore disks??? By the way , although we have rather new computers they are all 3 different model numbers...HELP! John in Michigan

Posted by on

3 Answers

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

    Sniper:

    An expert who has posted more than 50 answers, of which 90% or more were rated as helpful.

  • Expert
  • 54 Answers

Unfortunately you cant use a vista restore disk for a XP operating system.

You could install vista on it and then use XP compatibility mode for whatever programs you want to run. Simply right click on the program and select the compatability tab..change to XP.

Posted on Apr 24, 2009

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Governor:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.

    Hot-Shot:

    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

  • Expert
  • 73 Answers

I'm not going to recomend using those vista disks on another computer but here go's.

If you want to fully erase the machine and start again then there is a 90% chance it will work fine ... the 10% is those rare cases where windows realises that its registration code is used on more than one computer.

If its to revive a downed machine then your going to need that XP disk i'm afraid.

Posted on Apr 24, 2009

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Sergeant:

    An expert that has over 500 points.

    Novelist:

    An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.

  • Expert
  • 192 Answers

Hi there.

I wouldn't have thought that you would be able to use the Vista restore disc on the XP model. The only way it might work, is if the XP model had the exact same hardware spec as the Vista model that you're using the restore disk from. The thing with restore disks, is that they are set specifically for a make and model of laptop. The other thing is, the Windows Product key is only licensed to 1 system.

Truth be told, yes, it is doable, but not entierly copyright legal.

Tim

Posted on Apr 24, 2009

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

I tried to install the XP in my laptop compaq c700 (vista basic ) getting the error " replace the hard disk"


Greetings my friend, please try to format first your hard disk before installing Windows XP to prevent error causing by the vista operating system setup settings.
Thanks

Jan 07, 2010 | Compaq Presario 700 470024-192 Notebook

1 Answer

Can i use other O.S. than windows XP with dynamic disk.


Hello,

Yes you can. you can partition your system to use two operating systems.

Kind regards

Oct 02, 2009 | HP Compaq Presario C700T

3 Answers

I need help with my compaq laptop i had to wipe the drive and reinstall windows xp and now i have none of the wireless card driversi mean i have none of the drivers that i can tell none for networking...


Did this laptop originally come with Vista installed, and you downgraded to XP?
No?
Did you install XP from a full Installation disk you bought?
The reason I ask this, is it shows Windows Vista as the original operating system.

I found, as you did that there is no LAN driver available from HP Support, except for Windows Vista. (Broadcom Wireless)

I suggest this:

Contact HP.
I would call them. Much nicer speaking to a real person, and faster than emailing them.

Here is the phone information page,

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/phone_assist.html#section1

(Product Name is Presario)
Phone number is 1-800-474-6836

I just called the above 1-800 number, to verify it was still a good working number, and to talk to tech support myself, about what is involved for you to obtain this disk, and if said disk was available for THIS laptop using the Windows XP operating system.
(Apologize for the run-on sentence)
(9:37PM, Thursday, Sept. 17)

[1.Get Tech Support
2.Notebook PC
3.Presario
Wait for tech support. Time I incurred? 3 minutes waiting time]

You'll have to call tech support yourself, so that you can give them THE serial number. At that time, the tech will verify whether drivers are available for LAN, for the Compaq Presario F572US laptop. Then a Restoration Disk will be offered as an option.

Tell them you need the Restoration Disk for your Compaq Presario F572US laptop, running Windows XP.

Tell them the Serial Number, (s/n in the white Service Tag), and the Operating System, (Windows XP)

(Sometimes you have to remind them of the operating system, to be sure there isn't mis-communication, and they send you a Restoration Disk for Vista)

The Restoration Disk is free. The Shipping and Handling is not. The prices are $17 for a 5 to 7 day ship, $24 for a 2 to 3 day ship.
(Including Tax)
They have an overnight option also.

Sep 18, 2009 | Compaq Presario F572US Notebook PC

1 Answer

Installing XP SP3 pro on my presario C700


Most likely you have a SATA drive which windows is not detecting. Restart the setup and press F6. You will need to use another system to download the SATA drivers and save to a disk. Then when prompted you can insert the disk. You can also upgrade to XP professional which will almost always recognize the SATA drives. Good Luck.

Jul 30, 2009 | Compaq Presario 700 470024-192 Notebook

2 Answers

Install xp in presario c700 notebook


format your hard drive insert a winxp cd and boot your laptop i will give you drivers link http://www.zyxware.com/articles/2008/01/09/compaq-presario-c738tu-laptop-drivers-for-windows-xp

Jun 12, 2009 | Compaq Presario 700 470024-192 Notebook

1 Answer

Downgrade from vista to xp


Unable? that cannot be. Get a 100% working copy of windows xp, that is not a restore disk, and do a clean install. if that fails, try Kubuntu

Jun 10, 2009 | Compaq Computers & Internet

1 Answer

DVD burning problem


Hi guys .. it was very simple... Some laptops (such as mine Compaq Presario C755TU) are meant for WINDOWS VISTA .. Certain features will work only with VISTA.. i removed XP and installed VISTA and it's working fine.. life is beautiful again !

May 17, 2009 | Compaq Computers & Internet

1 Answer

The mic. won't work when i install windows vista


some time windows have a problem and sound setting is also defect.you can check sound setting and then try.install driver sound if not exist

May 16, 2009 | HP Compaq Presario V2000 Notebook

1 Answer

How to install preloaded mirosoft vista in Compaq presario CQ40?


if ur system came with vista pre - loaded originally when u bought and ur hard disk is still original then u can try this easy and fast operation to restore ur OS to factory default state

Compaq/HP: When you first turn on the laptop and see the Compaq/HP logo screen, press the F11 key (you need to do this before the Compaq/HP logo disappears). and then simply follow the instructions for installation of OS

if u dont have original hard disk then u have the option of restoring ur OS thru backup Disk u got if u dont have the backup disk then u can order one thru www.compaq.com website , go and chat with online expert at compaq and they can assist u in this backup disk they can mail u on ur request

pls rate me FIXYA if i fixed ur problem

Mar 09, 2009 | Compaq Presario Notebook

1 Answer

No audio device


Dear Nishu,
You please compleate format your system break the hard disk partation and install Vista home Premium. I think this is the best for you.

Oct 23, 2008 | Compaq Presario Notebook

Not finding what you are looking for?
Computers & Internet Logo

Related Topics:

137 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Computers & Internet Experts

Doctor PC
Doctor PC

Level 3 Expert

7733 Answers

kakima

Level 3 Expert

102366 Answers

David Payne
David Payne

Level 3 Expert

14161 Answers

Are you a Computer and Internet Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...