An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: will not turn on
Try swapping the battery packs and see if the problem moves to the other radio. If so, you have a bad or poorly charged battery. If the same radio does not work with a different battery pack, then you have a radio problem.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Very likely bad batteries in the handhelds. Make certain they have been charged fully and try again. If not, get new batteries. Batteries go bad even not used, sitting in a box or on a shelf. 1999 are likely nicad chemistry and without a professional battery conditioner, I doubt they will take a charge. You could try to charge and dis charge them your self 10-12 times. Sometimes this will work. Fully charge the battery, put in the radio and turn it on until the radio beeps. Do not let it go dead overnight or you make the problem worse.
It is possible you have a bad volume pot (potentiometer). You might try turning on the radio slightly differently, such as turning the volume up 1/2 way or all the way. Sometimes these just develop a dead spot. Also, you might check the battery contacts in the radio. These can be cleaned with a pencil eraser, and so can the contacts on the battery itself. Be sure the contacts are resting properly against the contacts on the battery. While there are a variety of reasons a radio might not turn on with a fully charged battery these are the most common.
Typically this would indicate a battery problem. Try swapping batteries with a known good unit. If the radio still shuts off when the PTT is pressed you have a radio problem. If it works fine, then you know your battery, despite showing fully charged, is bad.
It depends on the type of charger, a rapid-charger would charge a battery in one hour or less and the green light would come on when battery fully charged. A slow charger will take up to 16 hours to charge a battery and has red light only.
Don't know if you'd call it dangerous, but wisedom would be not to leave a radio turned on while on the charger. 1) Shortened battery life due to short charging. The battery will never be fully charged due to powering the radio. 2) Inadvertently pressing the PTT button while the radio on the charger can/will burn out components in the radio including the PA (final amp) which is a costly repair.
Instead of leaving the radio turned on while on the charger, buy a second battery to keep on the charger. Then you only need to swap batteries. Your radio would be able to remain on, and never be on the charger.
Check the battery first..... alot of times a person will put a battery in a chager and let it sit. They will think the battery is fully charged but it may not be...
In those battery packs there are a bunch of smaller batteries all tied together. Alot of times these commercial raios will run off of around 7 volts ( check the battery). The battery will only charge up to 7 volts if all the cells inside the battery are good.
What I'm saying is for you to charge the battery up fully..... check the voltage listed on the battery then use a volt meter to check the voltage after the battery is fully charged.
When a battery has just finished being charged usually it will be overcharged.... a 7.5 volt battery will be up around 8.5 volts for example.
So check the battery right after its charged... expect it to be overcharged. If it seems OK, put it in the raio and key the radio for a bit to try and use up some battery power.... then check it again and see if it has dropped drastically.
Your problem has to do with power... the first link in the power chain is the battery... check that out... then go to where the battery makes contact with the radio and make sure thats good.... inside the radio there will be a fuse but if thats blown you will get nothing... then the power goes to the switch.
Battery... contacts...fuse... switch... that how the power initially gets into the radio.
Most of these problems are battery related so I would check that first. If the battery does not have enough power when you transmit with the radio the radio will shut down.... turn off. If its not getting enough current the voltage will drop and once it gets low the radio shuts off. Usually with commercial stuff you will hear a "beep" when this happens.
Your problem might be power related... theres alot you can check.