Updating Firmware on Xacti HD2000
This page explains how to download and install the firmware update for the VPC-HD2000.
- This firmware is for the VPC-HD2000 only. Please do not install it on another model.
- By installing this firmware Greek, Swedish and Finnish will be added as new menu languages. (Please notice that for this purpose the menu languages Traditional Chinese, Simple Chinese and Korean will be deleted!)
It is not necessary to install this firmware update when there is already the possibility of choosing Greek, Swedish or Finnish as menu language! Please check this before continuing with the update.
- Before updating the firmware, please read through the explanations on this page.
- Make sure to update the firmware in the order shown below.
- The camera might not boot up properly if its power is turned off during the firmware-updating procedure.
- Please read the accompanying licensing agreement before downloading this firmware. Downloading the firmware automatically implies your acceptance of the licensing agreement.
CAUTIONBe sure not to take out the battery during the updating procedure (this lasts about 60 seconds).Avoid operating the buttons on the camera or closing the monitor unit during the updating procedure. I) Preparing to update (copying the firmware onto a card)Step I.1: Format the card on your camera*
- SD memory card (henceforth referred to as "card") with capacity over 8 MB.
- Fully charged lithium ion battery.
- Additionally, you need one of the items listed below:
(i) A SD memory card reader (henceforth referred to as "card reader")
(ii) A dedicated USB interface cable (shipped with the camera).
Step I.2: Download the Firmware*
- Turn the camera on and set the "REC/PLAY"-button to "PLAY"
- Press the "MENU"-button.
- Move joystick to the left and select "OPTION MENU 3".
- Move joystick to the right and select "FORMAT". Press the "SET"-button.
- Select "FORMAT". Press the "SET"-button.
- Select "YES". Press the "SET"-button.
If you format a card, all images and data stored on that card (whether protected or not) are deleted! Please be sure to move or copy important images and data to a PC or to another card!
Step I.3: Copy the file "s313n081.bin" to the formatted card (from step I.1):
- The firmware can be downloaded here.
Firmware Update XACTI HD2000
s313n081.bin (7.5 MB)
Please be sure to download the file onto a hard drive and not onto a removable location such as a card reader.
The firmware file should be saved in a location where you can easily find it again later (e.g. save it on desktop of your computer).
The method of operation differs depending on whether you use a card reader (i) or a dedicated USB cable (ii).
(i) When you copy the downloaded files with a card reader:
(1) Put the formatted card from step I.1 in the card reader.
(2) Copy the "s313n081.bin" file created on your hard disk in step I.2 to the root directory of the card.
(ii) When you copy the downloaded files with a dedicated USB cable:
(1) Connect the camera to your PC with a USB cable and turn on the camera. When you connect to your PC, please make sure the camera's USB interface is set to "Card Reader". (Please refer to "Setting the Connection Mode" on pages 7 to 8 of the Instruction Manual in the Xacti Software CD 1.0)
Please make sure the camera is recognized as a removable disc.
(2) Put the formatted card (from step I.1) in the camera and then copy the "s313n081.bin"-file created on your hard disk (in step I.2) to the root directory of the card.
(3) Remove the camera from computer.Please read "Dismounting the Camera" on pages 9 to 11 of the Instruction Manual in the Xacti Software CD 1.0 for a description of how to disconnect the camera.II) Updating firmware on the camera itselfCAUTION>:
Do not turn off the power during the updating procedure (this lasts about 60 seconds)!
Step II.1: Insert the card with firmware-update file (from step I.1) into cameraStep II.2: Turn the camera on and set the main switch to "PLAY".
- If the power is turned off during the updating procedure, the update may not be properly completed and the camera may not start up.
- To prevent the battery from running out during the updating procedure, please use a fully charged Lithium ion battery.
- Do not remove the battery during the updating procedure.
- Do not operate the buttons on the camera or close the monitor during the updating procedure.
Step II.3: Press the "MENU"-button.
- The playback screen will be displayed.
- If the camera is in SIMPLE mode, switch it to NORMAL mode.
Step II.4: Choose "OPTION MENU 3" Step II.5: Choose "FORMAT" from the Menu Screen, but do NOT go into "FORMAT"Step II.6: Move joystick to the left for more than 2 seconds.
- The menu screen will be displayed.
Step II.7: Choose "YES" and press the "SET"- button.
- The update screen will be displayed.*
*No Update Screen
If the update screen is not displayed, it's possible that the update file was not copied onto the card. Please refer to "Preparing to Update" to copy the update file onto the card and follow the updating procedure once more.
If the main switch is set to "REC", the update screen will not be displayed. Make sure the main switch is set to "PLAY".
Step II. 8: When the updating procedure is completed, the camera will turn off automatically.
- Updating will start.
- During the updating procedure, the screen will show the message, "LOADING. DO NOT POWER OFF", and the access light will flash.
Please do NOT turn the power off during the updating procedure! (this takes about 60 seconds).
- Please remember to format the memory card once more before using it again.