Question about Microwave Ovens
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get 2 Free calls (no credit card required) and instant help on almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, appliances, handyman, and even pets).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
So it's dead? (No display, no inside lights, no beeps?)
A microwave can be dead for many reasons.
If it goes dead for a while during or after cooking then comes back on, the magnetron is probably overheating and causing the thermostat to open. When it cools, it closes the circuit and allows power through again.
If it's random, it may be a bad connection, usually on the control board or fuse holder.
If it went dead almost immediately after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a shorted high-voltage capacitor.
If it went dead a few seconds after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a failing high-voltage transformer.
If the fuse is good, it may be an open thermostat or thermal cutout on or near the magnetron or on top of the cavity / body of the oven.
If you or a friend decide to look into it, we have critical safety information and disassembly information at our site, linked here on Fixya: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383
Please write back with more details if you need further help.
We appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Nov 18, 2007
The fuse holder may be loose.
With the microwave unplugged, if you can easily turn the fuse with your thumb & forefinger while it's in the holder, it has overheated and fatigued and should be replaced.
Simply squeezing its terminals together with pliers is not really a good solution.
When a connection is loose, heat results, which eventually melts the fuse internally.
This is usually evidenced by a very tiny ball of solder at the point where the end cap meets the body of the fuse.
You can use a generic holder - it's a lot cheaper than ordering one. The connectors should be 1/4" tabs and it should be rated at 20 amps or better.
You should be able to get one from a home center or local appliance parts store.
If it's not loose, then it may be a failing magnetron or high voltage transformer pulling too much current.
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Apr 12, 2008
I have this same problem occasionally. Pull the vent grill open and look for a white cam that rotates when the microwave is on. To the right of that cam, there are two gray switches. The bottom switch should have a red tab that pops out. When the vent grill opens and closes continuously, the red tab is stuck in. Take a flat screwdriver or tooth pick and push gently in on the red tab to release it. It must get stuck due to grease or dirt accumulation. Good luck.
Posted on Oct 19, 2011
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 11, 2016 | In Microwave Ovens
Mar 04, 2015 | Jenn-Air Microwave Ovens
Apr 19, 2011 | Jenn-Air Microwave Ovens
Apr 20, 2010 | Jenn-Air JMV8166B 950 Watts Convection /...
Jan 13, 2010 | Jenn-Air M170 Microwave Oven
Jul 13, 2009 | Jenn-Air JMC7000 Microwave Oven
Mar 09, 2009 | Jenn-Air JMV8208A Microwave Oven
Sep 04, 2017 | Jenn-Air JMC8127DD Microwave Oven
May 09, 2008 | Jenn-Air JMC7000 Microwave Oven
48 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!