HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN ROCKING CHAIR CUSHIONS
If your rocking chair cushions are looking weary and old, you don't need to buy a new rocking chair. If you can sew, follow these simple tips and re-upholster your existing cushions or make new ones altogether. Your friends will be congratulating you on your brand new rocking chair.
1. Draw a design for your rocking chair cushion. If you are new to this, keep it simple with a rectangle or square design.
2. Measure the area for the cushion, taking both length and width and then add 3 cms to each, and this will be the amount of fabric you need.
3. When you buy or cut out the cushion padding, use the original measurements ie without the extra 3cm you added on to the material.
4. Your padding material should be between 1 and 1 and a quarter inches thick.
5. Now cut out your cushion fabric. You need 2 pieces for each cushion. Make sure you keep the lines straight and that they are both exactly the same .
6. Start at a corner and sew a piping (double seam) along the edge. Then sew the 2 connecting sides to that new seam and this should form a pocket that is connected on 3 sides but has an open top.
7. Now stuff the cushion. Don't rush this part. Make sure none of the foam is folded over or squashed up inside the cover.
8. Now sew the final seam together. It can be a bit tricky so make sure it's lined up properly.
9. Once you've finished the basic cushion you can always add extra details such as trimming or tassles.
on Aug 21, 2012 | Furniture