Question about Air Purifiers
The unit is about 4 years old. When dirty it crackles and you clean the systems 'blades'. When I did so the last time, I used my typical cleaning fluid (a gentle eyeglass cleaner), then rewiped with water lightly. I always let it fully dry before reinserting the blade section of the system back into the main unit. This time when I did so and power on the unit - Nothing. No lights, no crackle, etc. If it were a computer, it is almost like the power supply coincidentally got tripped or something? Is there an internal Breaker or Reset ability on these models? Thanks so much...
I posted a solution to a similar problem I had with my Ionic Breeze GP. I was able to replace a bad switch and get the unit working again. Please check the following Fixya article for details on my fix:
Posted on Nov 13, 2008
Okay, after working on my Ionic Breeze Quadra I have fixed it. My problem was it wouldn't turn on even though the fins were clean.
2. Turn the machine upside down (there are 4 screws holding the bottom stand on) remove the screws
3. once bottom is off there are 2 screws sideways helping the hold the 2 sides together. Remove those 2 screws.
4. Turn the machine uprgiht and remove the middle fins (the ones you clean)
5. Remove the 4 screws that are deep in the 4 holes when you look down inside (you can't see the screws, I had to feel for them with a phillips head narrow screwdriver)
(it will be easier if your screwdriver has magnetic head for next step.)
6. after removing the 4 screws gently work lose the top (part that has the little lights and turn on push switch)
7. turn the breeze on its side, you will find about 5 or 6 tiny screws holding the two sides of the outside louver case together. Remove all these screws. You will be thankful for the magnetic end, I have small fingers and still had a problem catching the little screws.
8. You don't want to remove both sides, just one side is fine.
9. Being careful of the wires (I left that side alone) I worked from the wire free side and using a bottle of rubbing alcohal and lots and lots of q-tips I gentle cleaned off all the gunk on all the little metal pieces at the bottom of the breeze (on the inside where the wires are). Clean as good as you can, you will find the metal pieces covered with what looks like tar but it comes off with the alcohal.
10. Using a can of 'canned air' like you'd use for a computer, gently blow the rest of the breeze parts getting all the dust away but being careful not to damage the electronics. (there are a lot of little computer boards). I didn't find any dust in the electrical parts in the very bottom of the breeze, just above where the fins are and some at the top where the controls are.
11. I cleaned the 1/2 I took completely off with some rubbing alcohal, gets that **** off pretty good but didn't mess with the side with the wires, just blew the dust out, gently cleaned a bit and on the outside.
12. To put back together, first I gently put the outer middle pieces together and then gently put the control top back on and replaced those 4 screws. Then I put the 10 or 12 tiny screws back into the middle, then the 2 screws in the bottom sides and 4 screws putting the stand back on. I stood it up, plugged it in (make sure its dry) and turned it on and the light came on and it is working great.
I've had mine for 3 years so I think they occasionally need a thorough cleaning. Except for the canned air I bought nothing else. Everyone has rubbing alcohal and q-tips in their homes. When I first started I didn't know how to dismantle it and tried to clean the inside with long q-tips but it was too hard. Those little metal pieces in the bottom make some sort of connection to the fins we pull out and clean so I guess they need good contact.
I hope I've helped all of you with the problem of the Ionic Breeze Quadra and I suspect any other iconic breeze type machine by sharper image pretty much comes apart the same way and may have the same problems. I don't know how to post this so that everyone can see it as a general solution. Maybe you guys at FixYa can help with that. --- Harry Potter Without the Wand (and a female to boot!)
Posted on Mar 08, 2009
This is a repair that someone I know didafter reading a post on the net.....regarding Quadra repairs....and here is a link for repairs....its all one link....so type it into your browser or paste it.....
Remove the grid assembly.
Remove the 4 screws holding the top on.
Gently remove the top as there are wires connected to it.
Once removed, find the microswitch assembly on the side. There will be 2 green wires going to this assy board (PCB).
Examine the bottom of this board. On both my units, the PCB wascorroded badly on the trace that runs from the center lead to the wireconnection. This will cause the microswitch to quit working.
What I did was soldered a wire from the center contact of themicroswitch (center piece coming through the board. There should be alarge solder pool) to the wire connection at the edge of the board.This just 'goes around' the corroded PCB trace.
Worked fantastic on both ionic breezes and took about 5 minutes for thesecond one. The first one took over 2 hours just to find the problem.
I hope this helps.....good luck...thanks for rating my effort....the Fang.
Posted on Apr 01, 2009
Unfortunately, there are no repair depots that are available for use since Sharp Image has claimed bankruptcy. these product are very unique in design and, the actual repair parts are no longer in stock. the suppliers went under when Sharp filed for bankruptcy.
You may be able to repair the wiring by ordering the identical gauge from you local electrician but, that's about it. most of the hardware is no longer available.
Posted on Jun 18, 2009
I have the same problem as gerardperez7. One of my germicidal light quadras won't turn the light on and doesn't appear to be cleaning the air at all. I even put a new light bulb in it and it doesn't fix the problem.
Posted on Dec 22, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 15, 2010 | Sharper Image Ionic Breeze® Quadra® 4.0...
Oct 26, 2009 | Sharper Image Ionic Breeze 3.0 Air...
Aug 05, 2008 | Sharper Image Air Purifiers
Jul 31, 2008 | Sharper Image Professional Plus Ionic...
Jul 15, 2008 | Sharper Image Professional Plus Ionic...
Jul 06, 2008 | Sharper Image Professional Plus Ionic...
Jul 06, 2008 | Sharper Image Ionic Breeze Air Freshener...
Jun 30, 2008 | Sharper Image Professional Plus Ionic...
Mar 09, 2008 | Sharper Image Ionic Breeze 3.0 Air...
Feb 18, 2008 | Sharper Image Ionic Breeze 3.0 Air...
85 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: