Question about Actiontec GT704WG Wireless Router (gs583ad3-01)
My Verizon AGT704WG modem/router works fine.
If I take my Verizon modem/router down and replace it with my older and slower Verizon modem coupled with my new T-Mobile WRTU54G-TM wireless router, that router works fine too. I can easily configure both routers when they are "stand alone".
However, to take advantage of my faster Ethernet from Verizon, my T-Mobile wireless router (for my T-Mobile @ home and an unlimited Hotspot service) has to be "downstream" from my new Verizon modem/router. In this arrangement, I can no longer configure the T-Mobile router. Of note, I do have my T-Mobile @ home phone line working -- but, I can't say if the router is firewalled, secure, etc!
Any ideas on how to proceed?
-John from LA
Your Verizon AGT704WG is a gateway, meaning, it's a modem that has router functions (wireless, support for multiple pc's etc.). If you want to connect your T-Mobile wireless router, it would cause certain conflicts with your Verizon 704WG because it is also a wireless router. That's why you can't configure it.
So, if you want to connect your T-Mobile wireless router, you would have to set up your 704WG first to BRIDGE MODE. Which means you would have to disable its routing functions so that only the T-Mobile will function as your router and will not cause any conflict.
If you want to set your GT704WG to bridge mode, follow these steps.
1. Hardwire (connected using ethernet cable) your compuer to your 704WG.
2. On your Internet Explorer or Firefox, type in 192.168.1.1 (default address for your GT704WG). You will then see a verizon page which is the configuration page of your gateway (for newer modems, the background is usually red and black).
3. When prompted, enter username and password. default username is ADMIN, password is PASSWORD or if you've called Verizon tech support, password would be ADMIN (lower case).
4. Click on the MY NETWORK icon from the top bar.
5. Click NETWORK CONNECTIONS from the left navigation box.
6. Click BROADBAND CONNECTIONS (DSL)
7. Under the VC’s section, click the EDIT icon.
8. Select BRIDGE on the PROTOCOL drop down box.
9. Select ROUTED BRIDGE in the BRIDGE MODE field.
10. Click on APPLY and then click on YES to confirm reset.
You would notice that the wireless light on your gt704WG will be off. That's ok because that would indicate that your modem is in bridge mode.
Powercycle (turn off modem for 30 secs and turn it back on) your Actiontec.
That should do it. Good luck.
Posted on Apr 21, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 20, 2010 | Linksys WRT54G-TM Wireless Router
Mar 13, 2010 | Belkin (F5D5231-4) Router
Jan 17, 2010 | Linksys WRT54G-TM Wireless Router
Oct 30, 2009 | 2wire HomePortal® 1800HW Router...
Jun 05, 2009 | Linksys WRT54G-TM Wireless Router
Mar 19, 2009 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Jan 10, 2009 | Linksys Computers & Internet
Oct 08, 2008 | Computers & Internet
Jun 04, 2008 | Computers & Internet
Apr 17, 2013 | Actiontec GT704WG Wireless Router...
755 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: