Question about Plumbing

1 Answer

The counter is too thick for length of faucet stem

I have to replace a faucet in the bathroom. The current one had a long stem but all the ones I look at now will not go past the plywood underneath the counter so that I can secure it. I tried drilling out the plywood and then some of the cement as this is a tiled counter but now the bolt is uneven and it will not secure. Any ideas?

Posted by on

  • Thomas F. Schneider May 11, 2010

    Return the faucet . Go to a plumbing supply house and buy a direct replacment faucet or at least one sized correctly. 



1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has answered 200 questions.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.

  • Expert
  • 244 Answers

I good hardware store (not Home Depot) may have a coupler that will let you extend the two bolts on the faucet, add another bolt up into coupling, putting nut and crossbar on it.

Posted on May 09, 2009


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get 2 Free calls (no credit card required) and instant help on almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, appliances, handyman, and even pets).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Problem with counter depth.

Get a nipple and a sleeve and put the nipple on one end of the sleeve and then scew the sleeve onto the shank.

May 02, 2013 | Plumbing

1 Answer

My cold handle on a montecello faucet turns freely, however, nothing happins I have no cold water. What do I do?

First check that the handle is tight. If yes take the handle off and turn on the water buy turning the stem without the handle if you still do not have water remove the stem and cartridge and see if you have water if yes clean or just replace the cartridge. If the faucet in old replace both.

Mar 15, 2011 | Moen Bathroom Sink Faucet - 4-inch...

1 Answer


The seal is not a 100% seal, but to access there are two types, one type the tub faucet screws on and the other style is retained by an allen set screw. if you have the set screw type, you will notice a slot on the underside of the faucet, at the tub wall end, look up in there. If you see an allen, loosen it and pull the faucet straight off. if no slot or allen, unscrew the entire faucet, counter clockwise (top to the left, for those digital clock people...).

Nov 15, 2010 | Banner Faucets Castille 600 Series Brushed...

1 Answer

One of the handles on my Kohler faucet does not turn (at all). The model is very similar to the Kohler Memoirs centerset faucet I've noticed that the other bathroom faucet (dual sinks) is beginning to be...

Removing the faucet stems and coating them( inside and out) with plumber's silicone lubricant should solve the problem. If the stem is too corroded, you may need to replace the stem.

Sep 08, 2010 | Kohler Memoirs Centerset Lavatory Faucet...

1 Answer

How do I replace the spring and rubber seal

First turn water off to faucet and remove the screw that hold's the handle in place. They may have a cap on the handle to remove to access the screw.
After screw is out the handle should come off you may have to wiggle it a little to get it to come loose. Next you will have access to the spring and washer for that stem.
It should be located on the bottom of the stem just remove it and replace new ones back in place.
Some have sping's and seat in the body of the faucet if not located on the bottom of the stem.

Jul 13, 2010 | Delta Faucet 2530CBLHP/H25 Innovations 4''...

1 Answer

Kitchen taps drip and leak.I do not want to replace with new but would like to sort these problems.

dependent on the type of faucet, you need to replace (a) the washers, (b.) the spring and seals or (c.) the gasket. They all serve the same purpose. 1. turn off the water supply to the faucet. 2. double handle? (a)remove the center cap (b) then remove the screw holding the handle down (c)next unscrew the valve stem retaining nut (normally it is the one right above the faucet body). (d) pull the valve stem out, if there is a small rubber piece held down by screw remove the screw, replace the washer. if there is a rubber gasket wrapped around the stem, remove and replace it, if nothing is on the stem look into the faucet body you should see 1 or 2 small rubber pieces these are the seals the springs are right below the seals. Remove and replace springs and seals. 3. single handle? remove the handle retaining screw, normally covered by hot/cold indicator symbol, unscrew valve stem retaining nut, pull the valve stem and replace either the gasket or springs and seals.

Aug 28, 2009 | Home

1 Answer

Faucet handles fell off

there are supposed to be screws in the handle thru to the stem on the faucet that hold them on

Apr 21, 2009 | Dishwashers

1 Answer

Dripping faucet

Take a cloth and lay over the top of the stem so as not to damage it. With pliers, grasp the top of the stem and turn it a quarter turn counter clockwise. The stem should lift right out.

Mar 14, 2009 | Kohler Model 102704A: Fort® Centerset...

2 Answers

How do I, myself, fix a faucet leak?

Faucets in general operate either with a one handle valve stem or valve stems that uses small pieces of rubber to precent the water flow. In a single handle model this is usually caused by mineral deposits building up and the valve not being able to fully restrict the flow of water. The fix here is usually a new stem. On models that use a two handle system and do have replaceable valve stems one must get a repacement seat from a hadware store and reinstall the stem. In extreme cases the valve body may need to be ground internally and will require a professional. If you do not a have replaceable stems than the only alternative is a new faucet. I hope this assists you and thanks for using Fix Ya.

Oct 29, 2008 | Plumbing

1 Answer

Faucet Repair

A noisy washer-type faucet is usually caused by a loose seat washer. To stop the noise, first turn off the water and take the faucet apart as described previously. If the washer is loose, tighten it or replace it. After threading the stem back into the faucet body, try moving it up and down. If it moves, the stem is worn and the entire faucet must be replaced. Some faucets are noisy due to poor design and construction. The only way to solve this problem is to replace the faucet with a quality one.

Aug 27, 2008 | Danze D316440DNT Fairmont Two Handle Wall...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Plumbing Logo

Related Topics:

157 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Plumbing Experts

Donni Steen

Level 3 Expert

659 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

15973 Answers

Tom Chichester

Level 3 Expert

35601 Answers

Are you a Plumbing Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides