This article describes how to set up a NETGEAR EX6100 in Extender Mode
The extender connects wirelessly to your existing WiFi network, and then it creates a new WiFi extended network and links the two WiFi networks.
Cannot connect to extender
Extender broadcasting EX6100_NETGEAR_2GEXT
Extender broadcasting EX6100_NETGEAR_5GEXT
Extender cannot access Internet or network
1. Place your extender in the same room as your WiFi router.
2. Plug the extender into an electric outlet and wait one minute.The PowerLED lights green.
If the Power LED does not light, press the Power button on the side.
3. Make sure that the mode switch on the extender is set to Extender.
4. Use a WiFi network utility on a computer or mobile device to find and connect to the EX6100_NETGEAR_2GEXT or EX6100_NETGEAR_5GEXT (SSID) WiFi network.
Note: EX6100_NETGEAR_2GEXT and EX6100_NETGEAR_5GEXT are the default name of your extender's wireless networks, and by default it is unsecured. If you changed the wireless name or security in the past, connect to the new name or enter the passphrase when prompted. EX6100_NETGEAR_5GEXT is only visible if your wireless adapter is 5 GHz capable.
After the wireless connection with the computer or mobile device is established, the Client Link LED lights solid green.
5. Open a web browser window from the same computer or mobile device.The browser takes you directly to NETGEAR genie Smart Setup.
Note: If you are not automatically directed to NETGEAR genie, launch an Internet browser and type www.mywifiext.net
in the address field of the browser. Enter admin for the user name and password for the password.
6. Select a 2.4GHz WiFi network to extend and click the Continue button.
7. Type the network passphrase (also called password or security key) in the Passphrase field and click the Continue button.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 to select a 5GHz WiFi network.
Note: If your router does not support the 5GHz band, click the Skip button.
9. Select Private Network(home network) or Public Network radio button, and click Continue.
Note: Selecting Public Network will enable NAT and DHCP on the EX6100. For more info on NAT refer to: What is NAT (Network Address Translation)?
10. Type the name (SSID) for your WiFi extended network in the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Network Name (SSID) field and click the Continue button.
Note: You can use the same security settings as your existing network by selecting the Use the same security mode check box.
The WiFi extended network settings are applied.
11. Use a WiFi network manager on a mobile device or computer to connect to the extenders newly created WiFi network.
12. Click on the check box and click on Continue to finalize the installation.
13. Unplug the extender and move it to a new location closer to the area with a poor WiFi signal.
Note: The location you choose must be within the range of your existing WiFi router network.
14. Plug the extender into an electrical outlet and wait one minute. The Power LED lights green. Connect to the extender network and enjoy the extended Wifi network.