Question about Maytag Neptune FAV6800AW Top Load Washer
Washer gets through wash mode but will not go thru spin cycle. I see that this has been a problem for many. I have opened top lid and taken off front panel. The pulley will turn in one direction fine but when turned in the other direction it eventually wont turn anymore. Do you think my problem is the clutch or something else?
Hello c bellone,
If you rotate the clutch pulley by hand CW the tumblers should rotate in the wash basket. If you rotate the clutch pulley CCW the tumblers will rotate until the clutch spring comes under tension then the wash basket will begin to turn CCW and the tumblers will stop rotating because the transmission rotates with the wash basket. Do you have this action?
The clutch has been an issue for many are you taking dc or UC errors to the display? This clutch incorporates a Drawn Cup Roller clutch bearing (one way clutch bearing) designed to rotate freely CW and lock up CCW to rotate the spinner shaft in spin cycle rotating the wash basket/transmission CCW. You are halfway thru the clutch removal process, I would drop the clutch out and inspect the roller clutches, clean them up with WD-40 and some light bearing grease. If they are rusted up beyond clean up and or the clutch spring is broken as in this post you will have to replace the clutch. You will know what you are up against once the clutch is out and opened up for inspection.
Here is the process I use for clutch removal;
Access and remove the Clutch for maintenance
Disconnect 120VAC power cord.
The Service Manual for reference. Sears Parts Direct for reference.
Raise the top of the machine. Insert a flat blade putty knife approximately 2.5” from the left and right sides of the washer top, depress the spring tabs securing machine top to the washer base. See page 33 of the SM for putty knife insertion point.
Remove the front panel see page 41.
3/8 inch socket and socket wrench to remove clutch pulley bolt. Page 47 of the SM
1/2 inch socket or wrench to loosen Drive Motor tension bolt.
5/16 nut driver or 5/16 ¼ socket on an extension to remove front panel see page 41 of the SM.
1. Lean the washer back and blocked in that position for a better reach angle. Rotate 3/8” clutch Pulley Bolt CW to remove clutch bolt.
2. Follow SM page 46 & 47 to remove clutch pulley.
3. Remove 4 screws holding plastic cover on clutch, inspect clutch spring to make sure it is not broken. Inspect roller bearings clean up with WD-40 and re-lube with bearing grease.
4. Replace white bearing plate into clutch pulley hub, insure key slot slips into clutch Spring pin in clutch hub.
5. Replace Clutch plastic cover with 4 screws.
6. Reseat clutch on spinner shaft and rock back and forth while lifting clutch with upward pressure to reseat clutch. When seated properly you will feel a 1/16-1/8" gap between the Pulley face and shaft end as mentioned and shown on page 47 of the SM. On reinstallation, tighten Clutch Pulley bolt CCW to 96” pounds 8’ foot pounds (Snug no torque wrench required).
7. Do a quick wash and make sure clutch runs true with no wobble or clicking sound. If the clutch has not been seated properly it will spin off. If this happens go to page 16 of the SM Board Output Test and turn on Drain Pump in Service Mode to pump out excess water.
8. Repeat steps 6&7 if the clutch has excessive noise or spins off.
My clutch open up for clean up.
Posted on Apr 20, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 11, 2016 | Maytag Neptune MAH5500B Front Load Washer
Jun 29, 2014 | Maytag Neptune MAH5500B Front Load Washer
Clutch issue and possible time for a tub seal replacement
Google this for a post that covers the Clutch removal and inspection/repair;
""Neptune TL Washer FAV6800AWW"" you will find the Service Manual in post 5 of that sticky.
Google this for Outer Tub bearing rebuild;"" FAV6800A/FAV9800A Outer Tub bearing replacement""
Aug 20, 2011 | Maytag Neptune FAV6800AW Top Load Washer
Jul 12, 2011 | Maytag Neptune FAV6800AW Top Load Washer
If you machine is a FAV6800A or FAV9800A don't worry about the last two letters of the model number.
Google this; Neptune TL Washer FAV6800AWW
This is a DIY Appliance repair forum and you can get the Service Manual and repair support at that site..
In the Sticky: Neptune TL Washer FAV6800AWW 5 post down you will find a link to the Service Manual. You absolutely need the Service Manual to DIY issues with the machine. It's not the best SM but will get you started. I also have repair post in that sticky to help with the most common issues that I have helped owners with. I'm an owner of a FAV6800AWW top load machine.
If you need help post in the Maytag/Magic Chef/Admiral/Jenn-Air forum with your issue and we will try to help.
Feb 28, 2011 | Maytag Neptune FAV6800AW Top Load Washer
Jan 11, 2011 | Maytag Neptune FAV6800AW Top Load Washer
Sep 18, 2010 | Maytag Neptune FAV6800AW Top Load Washer
Sep 16, 2010 | Maytag Neptune FAV6800AW Top Load Washer
Nov 26, 2009 | Maytag Neptune FAV6800AW Top Load Washer
1,658 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: