Question about GE JVM1440 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning smell and won't heat.

I'm trying to troubleshoot this problem so I can repair the microwave myself. I bought it used, it looks new and still had the shipping plastic on the front cover. The clock,lite and fan all work okay. As normal microwave functions take place it sounds normal but it has a burning smell and does not heat the cup of water. No signs of fire yet, just smell.

GE Spacemaker Microwave Model # JVM1440BH01

Posted by on

  • karbiz Apr 20, 2009

    I don't hear a buzzing sound. Is there a test to check the transformer?

×

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.

    Governor:

    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.

    Scholar:

    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.

  • Expert
  • 87 Answers

If it buzzes real loud it's probably the high volyage diode. However some times if it smells it's the transformer. Usually the diode is a cheap fix ~$10.00 but this model the diode is $50. It's number 50 on the link below. Let me know how it works out or you need anything else.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=JVM1440BH01&productCategoryId=0123370&brandId=0432&modelName=MICROWAVE&diagramPageId=00001&documentId=G0312014&pop=flush

Posted on Apr 19, 2009

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

7 yr old unit emitting burning smell. Everything still works. Is it worth trying to get repaired or just buy a new one.


is the burning smell just when you use the convection oven or when you use the microwave , reason I ask is that if its only coming from the convection oven then chances are you have something melted on the heat elements , this can be cleaned off with a dry brillo pad

Nov 20, 2015 | GE JVM1790 Convection / Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Electrical burning smell


It is hard to tell what is burning, take it to the repair shop

Mar 12, 2013 | Oster OGG61403 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Buzzing sound when you turn on .also smells like burning


The magnetron is failing, "heats food" and in some cases gives off a burning smell, "classic symptom" repairs will run close to a new microwave oven or more.

Jun 07, 2011 | Whirlpool MH7140XF Microwave Oven

2 Answers

We were using the microwave the other night and it started making a loud noise like the fan was running (although the fan was not). We let it sit for awhile and try to use it again but the noise came...


The loud noise and no heat means that the magnetron has failed. It the part that generates the microwaves that heat the food. When it fails it shorts out, causing the transformer to heat up. That is what was causing the burning smell. The cost of a replacement magnetron is around $130-150 range so it may not make sense to have it fixed.

Mar 24, 2011 | Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My microwave, Whirlpool Gh9185XLT-1 is not heating and making an electrical burning smell. Can you help me?


No I'm afraid we can't, In view of the danger of fire you should stop using the microwave immediately and have a professional repairer look at it for you. If you can smell burning then there is obviously a component or connector getting hot inside , and there are extremely high voltages present.
I know that is not what you hoped to hear, sorry.
I have no idea where (in which country) you live but why not try a search on google for microwave repairers in your area or look in the local paper. Try to find someone who deals in philips.

I hope I have been of help but please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
I appreciate your vote if you appreciate my reply.

Mar 02, 2011 | Whirlpool GH9185XL Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Gold Star 1515W microwave not heating up and when


The magnetron (the part that heats the food) may be bad or the circuitry to the magnetron may have burned out. Basically my advice is that if you have no electrical expertise, it isn't worth fixing. The magnetron if bad, costs almost as much as a new microwave. If you open it up (make sure it has been unplugged for a few hours and don't seen any obvious burnt parts, then most likely the magnetron is done and a new microwave is the way to go.

Let me know how this works out for you.

Benjamin

Jul 17, 2010 | Goldstar MV-1515 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

JVM 1660WB 003 GE Profile Microwave humming sound/burning smell


the magnetron the unit has gone bad.sometimes there is burning smell as u mentioned.it is little expensive repair arond $ 150.00.find out the price of new unit plus iistallation/delivery chg and then make a decision.

Aug 17, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Daewoo kor-861h, electrical smell and will not heat.


Turn if off, and leave it alone, remove it, if you can remove the unit, take it in for service, something is wrong if you smell electrical, most people for some reason can smell and identify correctly electrical or at least insulation burning smells, which means something is burning internally, not safe, fire hazard, unit needs to be repaired by qualified technician or replaced with new unit, take no chances, nothing you can do to repair this, could be a shorting transformer, or shorting power cables, but to attempt to trouble shoot this with email is a long shot, and depends on your experience expertize and testing equipment.

I wish I could give you a short easy answer, but the hazard and your safety is more important than a microwave.

Will

Nov 30, 2008 | Daewoo KOR-860A Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Burning smell , Microwave not turning off


the control circuit shorted out from the cleaning session and kept the microwave on so long with nothing to cook that it has cooked itself I'm sorry to tell you. Probably not worth repairing

Dec 27, 2007 | Kenmore 62702 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning smell from Microwave


If you clean any appliances always plug out the unit power supply do spray any liquid in the unit that can enter inside the control, instead just wipe it with rug not spray. In this situation you have to call for a qualified technician. Maybe there are some wires that burned or rust in the control that cause the short circuit inside the unit..

Dec 27, 2007 | Whirlpool MH7135XE Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE JVM1440 Microwave Oven Logo

725 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1167 Answers

 Larry
Larry

Level 2 Expert

115 Answers

Shekar Avadhani

Level 2 Expert

61 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...