When I put a blank dvd or cd into my dvd writer, the pc crashes, and won't start up before i remove the dc/dvd. I've put another cd writer in, and put it on another IDE cable, but the same thing happens. Motherboard drivers perhaps? I can't find the cd...
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
OK, first of all you said you put a blank DvD in the drive. Make sure your dell has a DvD writer. Look on the drawer of the drive and see does it say DvDrw or DvDROM. It has to say Rw for rewritable and not ROM for Read Only Media. Maybe you have a Combo Drive that is DvDrom and CDrw which means it will read both DvD's and Cd's but in can only Write CD's.
If in fact you do have a DvD writer make sure you're not trying to put a Blue Ray disc in the drive.
Lastly, remove the DvD from the drive. Click Start/My Computer. Notice what it brings up as to your DvD Drive. Does it Say DvDrw or just plain ole DvD. DvD means it will only read a DvD.
Most DVD drives are also CD drives, and it sounds like the DVD part is broken, you need to replace the DVD drive, this is done simply by buying a new one, I recommend Newegg.com ( if your unsure search exactly what you already have) then opening your case (tower) and just unplugging old one and plugging new one in, it really is very doable for even a novice.
we may need more details but you can try this for now
1. are you sure you have a cd writer or a dvd writer (writer = burner)--- check the front edge of your cd/dvd unit and look for words like "writer" "burner" or writeable next to the word dvd or compact disc... keep in mind not all cd/dvd writer can write (burn) cd or dvds, some may burn cd but not dvds.
2. is your cd/dvd unit compatible with the media (cd or dvd blank disk) you are trying to use.. depending your cd/dvd especifications your dvd/cd drive is compatible with certain types of cd or dvds that are writeable.
3. is the cd/dvd a writeable cd/dvd and is compatible with your cd/dvd drive? for instance.. if you are using a blank dvd and your cd/dvd drive only burn cd/s and read dvd and cd you won't be able to write to the blank dvd.
4. are you trying to burn a dvd in a corporate computer.?? as a user (not an administrator) of your corporate computer you may not have priviledges that will allow them to burn dvd/cd's even you your drive and your media are compatible.
the error that you get
the brand and model of the computer you're using
the type of media you're using
if you have nothing on the cd then it won't read it cause there is nothing for it to read... so if you have a writing software that you can write the cd you can write the cd... only if there is something on the cd it will read......