Always be aware of bulb usage hours: bulbs normally last ~ 2000 hours2.
If the bulb pops and goes out:
- Follow the manufactures safety instructions for this condition.
- Normally, the bulb will need replacing.
If the lamp just turns off:a.
If lamp hours were getting high and the picture was getting progressively dimmer, normally the bulb will need replacing.b.
If bulb hours were low or a few hundred hours from 2000:
- Clean all filters and air ports.
- Try the projector again checking overall projector ventilation.
- There is a heat sensor in most projectors that will shut off the machine if it overheats, so air flow must be unobstructed.
If ventilation does not solve the problem:
- Take out the lamp, following the manufactures instructions.
- Inspect the lamp bulb visually through the lamp glass window.
- Look for cracks or damage in the bulb and whether one or both of the lamp wire elements is detached from the top of the bulb.
- In either case, the bulb is bad and should be replaced by purchase or possibly by warranty if the lamp hours are low.
- Normally, bulb replacement is the solution, but other issues could also exist.
If the lamp looks undamaged and/or you are unsure of the status, the problem could be a lamp ballast, power supply, or main control board issue, and should be evalulated by a technician. Unfortunately, a bad bulb can also result from one of the above issues.