Need to know how to stop thm from downloading into computer
Assuming you are using Windows XP, the following solution applies to remove the thumbs.db file from your picture folders. The function of thumbs.db is just to cache the pictures in that folder so that previews load faster, so you can safely disable this feature and delete the file.
First let's turn this feature off, so that no new thumbs.db files are created (the thumbs.db already created will have to deleted manually:
1) Open My Computer or any windows folder
2) From the top menu options, click on "Tools"
3) Open Folder Options, click on "VIEW" tab (right of "GENERAL" tab)
4) In "Advanced Settings", under "Files and Folders" sub heading, put a check mark in the "Do not cache thumbnails" option (by default it's unchecked).
5) Now, click Ok and close the folder.
6) That's it, no more annoying "thumbs.db" files.
Next follow these steps to remove the thumbs.db files already created in your hard drive.
1) Click on Start button and open "Search"
2) Click on All Files and Folders (by default XP search is set to standard. Advanced mode is slightly different and can be selected from "change preferences" --> "change files and folder search behaviour", but basically the procedure remains same.
3) Type "thumbs.db" in "all or part of the file name"
4) In the Look in box, make sure all local hard drives is chosen or you can select "my computer" too from the drop down menu.
5) Now, this step is important, expand "more advanced options", by clicking on its arrow and make sure all the first three options, ie, search "system folders", "hidden files" & "subfolders" are selected (have check marks). If not select them. (Remember, most "thumbs.db" have an "hidden file" attribute, so if hidden file search is unchecked, either no results or very few only will appear.
6) Click "Search" and wait till search is completed. It can take a long time depending on your hard drive size and contents.
7) All thumbs.db files in your hard drive will be displayed
8) Click "Edit" from the top menu options and click "Select All" from the drop down menu.
8) Click "File" menu (left of EDIT), now click "Delete" rom its drop down options.
9) Click "yes" if asked for confirmation. Close "search", now go to "Recycle Bin" and empty it.
10) Your PC is now free of "thumbs.db" pest forever.
Jan 15, 2012 |