Desktop PC with Windows 98 OS won't boot up.''windows protection
The complete error displayed is ''windows protection error. You need to restart you computer. After PC is rebooted windows doesn't load and it goes into safe mode. In safe mode I can't access the D:drive to load windows from Windows 98 OS cd which is put in D:drive.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: Desktop PC with Windows 98 OS won't boot up.''windows...
If you reload windows you will lose all of your files...try system restore from the command line in safe mode ...In SAFE MODE>START>RUN type MSCONFIG and enter in the general tab on the bottom there should be LAUNCH SYSTEM RESTORE
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
First, I want to know if you sees the Dell logo after turning on the laptop? If yes then this is no boot issue.
1. Immediately run the PSA. Make sure laptop is off. Press and hold down the Fn key, while holding down Fn key press the power button at the same time just once. Once the Dell screen loaded you can now let go of the Fn key. Check if the PSA will run short test for the LCD, RAM and HDD. When full color displays on the screen just press Y. PSA will continue. Just take note of any error code will appear on the screen such as 0141, 0142 and 0146 these are HDD failure errors which means HDD needs replacement. If the test says no errors found then proceed to step 2;
2. Try restarting the laptop once you see dell logo then keep tapping F8. Select last known good configuration. Press enter key. Just wait and check if laptop will load Windows. If not then, restart laptop keep tapping F8 try to select safe mode check if it will load Windows. If not then prepare the Windows OS disc the one came with your laptop.
3. While laptop is on insert the Windows OS disc. Restart the computer. On the Dell screen keep tapping on F12 to show boot menu. In the boot menu select CD/DVD ROM Drive. Press enter then keep tapping on space bar until it will say Windows loading files, please wait.
4. In the User Interface it will show you some options to select. Once the Install screen comes up look on the lower part select Repair Your Computer. If will ask you to do Startup Repair, please do start up repair. If fails try the System Restore. If fails then step 5;
5. If you have important files in your HDD then back up your files first. After backing up of files you can now install the Windows OS. Here is the process in installing the Windows OS. Insert the Windows OS disc, restart the laptop, keep tapping F12 on Dell screen, on boot menu select CD/DVD ROM Drive.Install the Windows OS. Just complete the installation.After the installation install the laptop drivers.
hi! there,set up exe. that was when your setting up win 98 you have to install that came from floppy disk before you can install win 98.there is an os win 98 in your system you have to delete that previous os before installing another win xp.restart ur computer. press F2 to open your bios set-up . then select bios set-up priority your cd-room drive second,your hard drive. last, quit and save set-up. and then your computer will restart. insert your cd windows xp then reinstall your window xp. delete the previous os then follow the set up on your window xp until you install your new window xp.
hi, i have dell c400 laptop, its to much simple to install xp first you just take out hdd from laptop plug in tht hdd in desktop pc by external usb box now u just start windows 98 setup in it when it started first format ur drive then install it when windows 98 setup files copies to 100%. machine need to restart u just plug out the hdd and plug in back to laptop now the setup will remain start in ur laptop and when the installation complete u just upgrade ur windows from 98 to xp by intalling xp from external drive on OPERATING SYSTEM OF 98 WINDOWS NOW WAT U SAY??? ITS TO MUCH SIMPLE just try once
This is a little difficult but it can B done :) Firstly I dunno if ya need to re-format ya drive? perhaps first ya could try to "Repair" of Win98? If that doesn't work,then, perhaps ya may have to re-format. If the Win98 is on a SEPARATE drive or Partition this also makes a difference....
Basically ... repair/re-install win98, then do a repair of ya Boot menu for XP, as Win98 sets up an incorrect Boot up for XP, and thus must be "Fixed" so XP will boot & show a Dual boot menu..
here are some links to help you step by step...