When i turn on my computer, it goes through the powerup but then there's a message stating that my battery is low and that i should connect my computer to a power source. the problem is that it is already connected to wall power. When i turn the computer off, the battery charges and it lasts for a little while (with the comp plugged to the wall) but then it shuts down after another message stating that my battery is at critical level appears. when i say shut down, it just turns off. it doesn't go through the power down process. I switched out the ac adapter but it still does the same thing. The computer is 4-6 years old. it has the same battery and on some days, it decides to work on other days, it doesn't. I took the battery out and just tried to run the computer off the wall power but it won't even turn on.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.
Re: power up problem
The DC jack inside the laptop may have a cold solder joint around it or it may be loose all together. When you plug it in watch the charge light on the laptop and wiggle the plug in the jack. If it cuts on and off (the charge light) then the jack is at fault.
Also the wires coming from the charger itself could be twisted enough to break inside the insulation. try wiggling the cord as well looking at the charge light.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
hold the reset button on UPS for 30secs while the power is turned on...
Then keep the UPS on charge for 16 hours with no load...
then check for the backup... while you shut down the computer you should not turn off the power supply to UPS...
Drain it! You might be surprised that one day as you turn your computer on, it shows no display. It can be caused by electrical charges on the motherboard, I do not specifically know how it affects the display but in case this happens to you try to do a Power Drain. It's easy, first, take the battery out from the laptop and unplug the AC Adapter if it is connected(for desktops, unplug power cord from the CPU/tower) then press and hold the power button down for at least 30 seconds. plug power supply back into your system and turn it back on. There goes your display once again.
Replace the battery, or find a company (there's one in Seattle) that will "open" the battery-case, remove the dead batteries, and install new batteries, close the battery-case, and ship the "refurbished" battery back to you -- they are less-expensive than buying a "new" & "factory" battery.
In a computer, nothing connects directly to the battery, as the battery is not what powers the system. The battery controls the CMOS settings, which involves all of the things that come up before windows loads when you turn on your computer.
As for how the computer actually gets the power, there's a box in there called a power supply, which receives its power from the 3 pronged plug you put into the back of it. The Power Supply gives power to the computer through a series of different wires.
There are a bunch of 4 pin molex connectors, that go from the PSU (power supply unit) to the various drives throughout the machine. In addition, it supplies power to the motherboard itself via a 20 or 24 pin connector, that goes straight into the board. Some have an additional 4 pin one as well to supply power to the processor.
If you were looking for something else, feel free to leave a comment.
You may need to replace the cmos battery, its a cr2032 3v button cell Make sure all your expansion cards and memory are reseated. Make sure all cables are reseated. your power supply could be bad
If that doesn't work try this
Here is my fix for the dell dimension 4400 amber light problem. It works! replace cmos battery. then unplug power cord form wall about 5-10 secs. then plug it back in, wait 5 secs. If amber light comes on, press and hold power button until it goes out.
light out, press and hold power button while amber light comes on and
goes off again holding power button 2-3 secs after light goes out.)
repeat whats in parenthesis until computer turns on it should only take about 6, 7 tries.
After the computer boots, you may want to setup cmos or boot into windows. After you shutdown, unplug power cord for 5-10 secs then plug it back in. Press and hold the power button, computer should come on. I found that's the only way to turn on the computer. If you shutdown and don't unplug power cord the computer may not boot, mine didn't. Strange I'd say
inside the pc there should be a green light. called flea light. if its not on.. then id say motherboard or power supply are bad. take power cord off. and hold power button down for 10 ecs. then reconnect and retry. i think its abad psu.