- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I will advice you reset the unit, this might help fix the
abnormality with the black screen problem. follow these procedure to
reset your tom tom gps. Make sure your battery is charged before you
begin. TomTom suggested
allowing your device to charge for at least 2 hours before resetting it.
Remove your device's SD card from the card slot. Find the "Reset"
pinhole button on the bottom of the device. Hold the "Reset" button
down for 10 to 15 seconds or until your device
resets itself. You will need a flattened paperclip or another small
metal object to reach inside the pinhole. Power the TomTom back on
and insert your SD Card. You have now reset
your TomTom gps, now try reinstall the update.
My thanks to the gentleman who posted the link to Tom Tom's solutions link. Although I had been there previously months ago when I first encountered this problem, there had been at that time, no instructions from them on how to properly reset the One that does not have a reset pin hole. That was in March. There are now such instructions.
The key to resetting such a Tom Tom GPS device lies in plugging your One into your computer, which automatically launches Tom Tom Home software (please remember, you have to have Home software installed on your computer already). After doing this:
1. When Home launches, go to Manage My Device Folder (p.2) and click it to open it.
2. You will see a folder-style window which lists all of the items that are your device. Select the folder tab: 'Items on device.' Then Deselect Applications. Click OK when promted. The Applications software will be deleted from your Tom Tom One.
3. IMPORTANT! Then clcik the other folder tab 'Items on computer.' Do the same here by deselcting to uninstal software on your computer as well. Click OK when promted.
4. If you do not get an automatic dialog box indicating that you need new application software installed, return to p.1 and select the folder 'Update My Device.' Follow the instructions as prompted and Tom Tom will both download new computer Home software as well as new software to the One device.
That should do it.
I will tell you that it took me three passes at this process. So it's not a breeze. But in the end it finally worked. And my One, which had been down since March is once again finally up and running with new software and as well as I remember it working.
Hope this helps others.
Have you gone to the tom-tom web site and downloaded the Tom Tom home? If not I would recommend that first. There are many upgrades and additions there. But I do not believe you can update the 300 without being connected to your computer via usb cable and being on the tom tom site with tom tom home downloaded.
Hope this helps
You should be able to get online to Tom Tim Home, register your product and get at least one update. You are good for a year from date of purchase. Just say you purchased it now. After that updates cost money.
My tom tom dos not come with safety camera update, This information i have to
download from tomtom home at a cost of 34 pounds.
Thank you. I will use FixYa if i come across any other problems . Cheers Paul.