Question about GE JVM1490 Convection/Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Shelf support burned off

One of the front shelf supports seems to have "melted" after a couple of days smelling a burning scent coming from the microwave. Now the piece is totally off the side of the microwave, and looks like it was in a fire.

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • GE Master
  • 8,795 Answers
Re: shelf support burned off

The shelf supports will need to be replaced. It's best to replace them all. You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your model number here: Before you install the new supports, you should clean the cavity squeaky clean in those areas where they mount. If any paint is chipped or charred, it should be sanded bare, then fresh high-temperature appliance paint should be added. That can be had from home improvement stores, or Wal-Mart, etc.

Posted on Sep 22, 2007

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer

7 yr old unit emitting burning smell. Everything still works. Is it worth trying to get repaired or just buy a new one.

is the burning smell just when you use the convection oven or when you use the microwave , reason I ask is that if its only coming from the convection oven then chances are you have something melted on the heat elements , this can be cleaned off with a dry brillo pad

Nov 20, 2015 | GE JVM1790 Convection / Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave smell like burning rubber

Good Afternoon Friend,

I understand that you are receiving a burning rubber smell from your Frigidaire microwave. I also see that your appliance will run for a couple of seconds, and then you hear a weird noise, followed by a burning rubber smell. I suggest contacting your local authorized technician, especially when dealing with your microwave. They will be able to diagnose your appliance and determine what is causing that sound as well as the burning rubber smell. Hope this is helpful.

-Best Regards-

Jun 17, 2014 | Frigidaire Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My 1000 watt microwave gave off electrical burning smell then stopped working

check inside after removing power... look for melted plastic or burn spot inside.. bad fuse or wire connector.. replace as needed

Apr 09, 2014 | Hamilton Beach Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

When i use the microwave it makes a very loud coughing and spluttering noise and there is a flashing of lights inside. It also smells of smoke. Any help greatly appreciated. I live Bristol, England if they...

proceed according. God bless youIf you see arcing or sparking inside a microwave, turn unit off immediately. Arcing can be caused by having something metal in the oven cavity touching a side, an oven shelf is touching the side of the cavity, an oven shelf support has broken, microwave waveguide, or bad magnetron.
If your microwave has a shelf in it, and you do not use it, keep it out. If one of the shelf supports breaks or comes out, the microwave will arc where the support was. You will have to sand the spot down, paint with appliance paint and re-install support. If the shelf shifts on the support and touches the side it will arc.
Your magnetron waveguide will either come out of the top, or side of the oven cavity. Some will have a stirrer in it(mostly top waveguides) with a panel over, or just a cardboard type cover over it. Over time, the stirrer cover can become warped from the heat which will expose the stirrer's metal shaft which will then cause sparking. These covers and stirrers come in a kit and can be replaced from inside the oven cavity.
Your cover over a side waveguide is coated with a substance on it, and overtime this coating can come off from the heat and moisture in the microwave. These waveguide covers are very easy to replace from inside the oven cavity. Touch up any paint that may have chipped or come off because of the arcing.
If your waveguide cover and/or stirrer are all OK, then the spark is coming from your magnetron. The antenna on your magnetrom has overheated and burned, sending the microwaves out at the wrong angle. If you catch this microwave oven repair early enough, you can usually get by with just replacing the magnetron. If the arcing has caused servere damage inside the waveguide, you will need a new microwave. Waveguides are not replaceable and most you can barely see into them, let alone sand and re-paint. In this case of microwave oven repair, when you remove the magnetron, you will see the burned antenna, or your magnetron will fail the test below.

Apr 04, 2013 | Samsung CE1031B Microwave Oven

1 Answer

When I turn on the micowave; smell somthing burning

The magnetron (the part that heats the food) may be ready to burn out. If you smell the burning, you should then unplug the microwave, open it up and see if you can determine for sure that it is coming from that part. Unfortunately even if I am right, it is almost more cost effective to just replace the microwave rather than replace that part. You can run this microwave till it dies if you want, but I would be ready with a new one.

Let me know how this works out for you.


Apr 29, 2010 | KitchenAid KCMS145J Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave light

my kenmore microwave model # 66222, doesn't let the steam out, its ventilated so I know thats not the problem, smells like its burning then shuts off and doesn't come back on until its cooled off, this happened when cooking a Baked Potato, also when I cook something for over 5 minutes

Aug 13, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Burn at bottom of microwave

First try cleaning the burned mark off. Dip a scrubber in lemon juice and sprinkle salt on it; this is also great for burned coffee pots. The smell can be gotten rid of this way: Boil lemon peel in water, then put the water in a spray bottle. Not only will it make your microwave smell fresh but the lemon oil will make it easier to clean. If it still smells of burning rubber, take the back off and inspect the wiring. IF you see burned wiring, please do yourself a favor and replace the microwave!

Microwaves work by making the molecules in food get "excited"-they move more-meaning, if there IS rubber burning, then there will be minute molecules of rubber in your food, which is BAD for your immune system. If it's just burned chocolate, though, it is harmless unless you are allergic.

Apr 03, 2008 | Danby DMW1400 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning odor, no heat

A burning smell along with a different sound (growl) USUALLY indicates a breakdown in the High Voltage Side. This is not a direct short (short circuit) or the line fuse would have blown shutting everything down. The High Voltage Side is made up of-- The Secondary ,or High Voltage Side of The High Voltage Transformer, A High Voltage Diode, A High Voltage Capacitor, and The Magnetron. If The High Voltage Transformer is the problem it will smell like a florescent light ballast burning, and will smell each time you turn on the MW. A HV Diode burns and opens, thus no more smell. A HV Capacitor usually does not burn nor does the Magnetron. There is no Cheap-Fix unless you can see that the HV Diode is burned into and you can get to it to replace. CAUTION: Always unplug from power before attempting to repair. NOTE: If you replace a Diode make sure it goes back in the same direction it came out. Yes there is a front and back.

Jan 26, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Melted carousel in microwave / bad smell

For the smell, do a Google search for "smell microwave" or "odor microwave" for many great tips.

If you need a new turntable support, you can order Sharp parts from Tritronics at

It's part # FROLPB017MRK0

Nov 03, 2007 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I've had a fire

best way to remove the smell is to get an activated charcoal cooker hood filter (cheap and available at any hardware store) and leave it scrunched up in the microwave for a couple of days with the door shut.(also a bowl of fresh cat litter works if it is the "fuller's earth" type without extra super-scented-power-globules etc..) If you are competent enough to take the cover off (make sure you know what you are doing or get a repair man to do it) then clean all round the extractor fan blades and where the air is ducted - there may be some soot that smells in this area. If there are no obvious holes in the interior as a result of the fire then if the machine seems to work normally there is probably no problem. the only way i know to remove this type of stain is with a (plastic scotchbrite type) scourer with some neat bleach (wear gloves) or some "cif/jif" type scouring cream. if a bit of effort with one of these doesn't do the job then you are probably best to live with the stains - make sure you clean all the cleaning products off properly before cooking in the machine again. If none of this works then try microwaving some sugar until it burns (watch it and stop it the moment it catches fire if it does). Sometimes this can remove burning smells even if this sounds very stupid it can work. last resort anyway. Hope this helps :)

Mar 08, 2007 | Samsung MW5350W Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE JVM1490 Convection/Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

141 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8795 Answers


Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides