An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
An expert who has answered 20 questions.
Re: shuts for no reason
Check for any rust or corrotion on radio battery contact.
dirty bat. contact could produce this kind of syntoms.
What happend if the radio turn off by itself and you try to turn on again? does it turn on normaly?
Check the battery first..... alot of times a person will put a battery in a chager and let it sit. They will think the battery is fully charged but it may not be...
In those battery packs there are a bunch of smaller batteries all tied together. Alot of times these commercial raios will run off of around 7 volts ( check the battery). The battery will only charge up to 7 volts if all the cells inside the battery are good.
What I'm saying is for you to charge the battery up fully..... check the voltage listed on the battery then use a volt meter to check the voltage after the battery is fully charged.
When a battery has just finished being charged usually it will be overcharged.... a 7.5 volt battery will be up around 8.5 volts for example.
So check the battery right after its charged... expect it to be overcharged. If it seems OK, put it in the raio and key the radio for a bit to try and use up some battery power.... then check it again and see if it has dropped drastically.
Your problem has to do with power... the first link in the power chain is the battery... check that out... then go to where the battery makes contact with the radio and make sure thats good.... inside the radio there will be a fuse but if thats blown you will get nothing... then the power goes to the switch.
Battery... contacts...fuse... switch... that how the power initially gets into the radio.
Most of these problems are battery related so I would check that first. If the battery does not have enough power when you transmit with the radio the radio will shut down.... turn off. If its not getting enough current the voltage will drop and once it gets low the radio shuts off. Usually with commercial stuff you will hear a "beep" when this happens.
Your problem might be power related... theres alot you can check.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Unfortunately, your volume potentiometer (the part behind your volume knob, which connects to the component board, has gone bad. This can happen from turning the knob too far past full volume or even sometimes when turning it off. The part to repair this has never been offered as a replacement part. Your only solution is to remove the battery to turn the unit off.
Steady red on the charge indicates the battery is charging. This would not be unusual, as the charge will revert to a trickle charge and have a constant red even after a complete charge cycle. For a brief time when the initial charging is done it will be green, but you'd have to be watching the charger pretty closely to catch it green. (Be careful to have the radio shut off when it is placed on the charger, and especially careful to NEVER press the PTT when it is turned on and charging.)
When you say the radio won't turn on, we are assuming you see no light on the radio. If this is the case, you might check the battery connection to the radio and be certain the battery contacts are not flattened or damaged between the radio and the battery.
You might also check your on/off/volume knob in different positions to see if the volume potentiometer has gone bad. If so, you might have intermittent function of the radio depending on the position of the knob.
Lastly, you might try a different battery on the radio to see if it will work with a different battery, maybe the new battery is not functioning correctly.
Flat rate repair is available for this style radio for around $95.
When any radio shuts off wth high volume it is caused by several things.
1. The maximum power output was reached and the unit goes into the self protection mode.
2. The most common reason.... The power transistor has partially failed and will not provide the partially amplfied output necessary.
3. Units with removable face plates vibrate enough to disengage the face plate contacts so the unit shuts off.
4. The speakers are too big for the radio causing it to self protect. (system mis-match)
5. Loose connectors/pins on the radio input and output connections.
6. A poor system ground that is good enough for low volume use but when high power use is encountered the ground is not good enough to carry the amperage necessary.
These are the most comon reasons for a unit to shut off at higher volumes.
It is not always an easy fix troubleshooting this problem. I know first hand as a life long electrician that has the exact same problem with the radio in my automobile. (Mine appears to be a power transistor grounding problem) With shipping to the repair center each way and the flat rate repair cost it would cost as much as a new one!
The clock uses a 12-hour digital indication...... Press and hold the select button...... The setup display appears...... Press the select button repeatedly until “CLOCK-ADJ” appears...... Press (DSPL...... The hour indication flashes...... Rotate the volume control dial to set the hour and minute...... To move the digital indication, press (DSPL...... Press the select button...... The setup is complete and the clock starts......
there are 2 options for this:
1) if its a anlog knob then the AMP inside is gone bad...
2) if its a digital knob then it is preesed constantly
and there for raising the volume level
try disassemble the system and making the spring knob more efective