Now that I know that my HP dvd writer 640c is toast, I need to know what type of burner I can put in my Hp media center 7160n computer that will be compatible. What I mean is I saw some that said they were sata models and some were ide models . I just want to burn. Please help so I can get back to the fun.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.
Re: need new burner
If you have ide connectors (normally there is 2, 1 black, 1 blue) on the motherboard which you probably will have; purchase an IDE type one as you get the cable with them and use a power connector which you will have spare from your power supply unit as they are cheaper and easy to fit.
See below for what to look for on your motherboard called IDE0 and IDE1
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
This model HP has a SATA disk controller. You need a SATA DVD writer. If you are not sure, when you remove the faulty DVD writer, take it with you when you go to purchase a nre DVD writer, make sure the new DVD writer has the same connectors as the faulty DVD writer.
we may need more details but you can try this for now
1. are you sure you have a cd writer or a dvd writer (writer = burner)--- check the front edge of your cd/dvd unit and look for words like "writer" "burner" or writeable next to the word dvd or compact disc... keep in mind not all cd/dvd writer can write (burn) cd or dvds, some may burn cd but not dvds.
2. is your cd/dvd unit compatible with the media (cd or dvd blank disk) you are trying to use.. depending your cd/dvd especifications your dvd/cd drive is compatible with certain types of cd or dvds that are writeable.
3. is the cd/dvd a writeable cd/dvd and is compatible with your cd/dvd drive? for instance.. if you are using a blank dvd and your cd/dvd drive only burn cd/s and read dvd and cd you won't be able to write to the blank dvd.
4. are you trying to burn a dvd in a corporate computer.?? as a user (not an administrator) of your corporate computer you may not have priviledges that will allow them to burn dvd/cd's even you your drive and your media are compatible.
the error that you get
the brand and model of the computer you're using
the type of media you're using
if you can open your desktop..try to replace the ide cable of the DVD/Cdrom it might be deffective.before you open your pc just make sure that the power is off.after changing the ide cable of your dvd the system will automatically detect your drive.if you got same problem again try to consult your hardware vendor to claim your warranty parts and service.good luck
try with reomiving temperoroy file and delete file or programmes from statrup uninstall unwanted software and run chksdk utility and check for virus also. if you still facing the the problem i will advise you to take a backup of your system and format and reinstall opreating system
You unit is faulty.. replace the unit with a new one. The CD Write Laser has probably "Burnt Out" or perhaps the "Quadrant Detector" has faulted.. either way a new unit is only way solve ya problem ... sry :(