What you can initially do is to update the driver.
- Press on the windows key + R. A run box will appear.
- Type devmgmt.msc then click on ok. The device manage will appear.
- Click on the plus sign besides mice and other pointing devices.
- Right click on the item that will be pertaining to your touch pad.
- Choose update driver and let the internet work for you.
If this does not work, you will need to totally reinstall the driver.
Dell Vostro Driver list
- On the same screen (device manager) right click on the touch pad driver again, the choose uninstall.
- follow the prompts for uninstallation. You might wanna uninstall any mouse related drivers as well (these application can also cause conflicts thus causing your touch pad not to work)
- download the touch pad driver available from the link I provided below.
- follow the prompts for installation.
(click here to view all available drivers for your portable system)
Dell Vostro Touch Pad Driver
(click here to download the touch pad driver)
It this does not work, you will need to call Dell Technical Support to have the laptop serviced. That is if the portable still has warranty. If not, then you will need to buy a USB mouse as a replacement.
for additional information visit Dell support website: support.dell.com