1) Press eject button on case, on drive, button on keyboard (if exists).
2) Right-click drive icon in Windows and select Eject.
3) Turn off PC and inert a straightened paper clip into the manual release hole on the drive.
4) Check the power cord on the back of the drive.
MS FIXit, Resetting Upper and lower Filters (XP, Vista and 7)
First... try to use the MS Fixit (for Vista) if you are on the computer having the problem)...
Microsoft Fix it Solution
Otherwise, here are the manual steps (overview):
1) Uninstall the CD/DVD drive in Device Manager and DO NOT RESTART the computer.
2) Uninstall your CD burning software (make sure you have the installation disc or you can resinstall from Start, Programs, PC Help and Tools, Recovery Manager (or Driver/Application Recovery). If you don't have the installation discs, skip this step - it might still work).
3) Open the registry editor (Start -> Run -> enter Regedit) ... might want to make a backup of the registry at this point.
4) Open the following keys:
+ CurrentControlSet (or the current control set with lowest number if that is all that is listed)
5) Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318
. It has to be this exact key - make sure you can see the last numbers!!!
6) Delete the UpperFilter and or the LowerFilters value in the right window if either exists.
7) RESTART the computer - this step is important. Wait for Windows to find and install the CD/DVD drive you removed earlier.
8) Reinstall your burning software and restart the computer again.