Adjusting The Display
To increase or decrease the display's contrast so it is easier to read,
hold down FUNCTION, then press /\ or \/ on the cursor pad.
Playing The Game
1. Press ON/OFF to turn on the game.
If you have not worked a puzzle since installing or replacing the
batteries, CROSSWORD MASTER appears. Otherwise, the display is as it
was when the game was turned off.
2. To start a new puzzle at any time, press FUNCTION and 1 (I), 2 (O), or
3 (P) at the same time. 1 is for beginner-type games, and 2 and 3
increase in difficulty. NEW GAME LEVEL 1, 2, OR 3 Y/N appears.
3. Press Y to start a new puzzle. A crossword grid with flashing cursor
Otherwise, press N. The display appears as it was when you pressed
FUNCTION and 1, 2, or 3.
4. Press (or hold down) /\, \/, <, or > on the cursor pad to move the
cursor around the puzzle.
5. With the flashing cursor in the desired location, press ? to see the
clue(s) for the word(s) in that location.
Any letters you already entered appear, along with a dash for each
missing letter. The number of letters appears in parentheses - for
example, (5) for a solution with 5 letters. If the solution includes
more than one word, the number of letters for each word appears in the
format - for example, (5, 3, 4) for a solution with three words.
If the flashing cursor appears at the junction of two words (across
and down), both clues appear, across first, then down.
6. Press ? again to return to the crossword display, then use the letter
keys to type your answer.
If the flashing cursor was at the junction of two words and you enter
the first letter of your answer, two small arrows appear in the
adjacent across and down squares. Before typing the rest of your
answer, press > or \/ (across or down) on the cursor pad to indicate
which word you are entering.
Press /\ on the keyboard to erase the letter just above, and < to
erase the letter to the left of, the flashing cursor.
To erase a word, hold down FUNCTION and press WORD DELETE (Z).
To spell check the puzzle at any time, hold down FUNCTION and press
SPELL (T). The [+] symbol indicates the location of each incorrect
When you complete a crossword correctly, GAME COMPLETED appears.
7. Press ON/OFF to turn off the game. The current puzzle is saved.