The iPhone battery received the most troubleshooting requests by a wide amount during FixYa's FixMas report last year, accounting for 40% of user issues. With the newly released iOS 5.0.1 failing to fix the issue for many iPhone owners struggling with battery life, I figured it would be a good idea to break down some of the best ways to get battery life out of your phone.
The vast majority of these actions take place in the "Settings" section of the iPhone. They should be done in conjunction with one another in order to maximize battery saving effects:
- Turn off location services
- Turn off push notifications
- Turn down screen brightness
- Turn off Bluetooth and turn off auto-search for Wifi
- Do not leave your phone charging overnight-- when your phone reaches 100% battery power, take it off the charger
- Lock your phone regularly and enable auto lock (the shorter it takes for your screen to lock the better)
- Fetch new data manually (emails especially)
- Turn off Siri (4s users only)
- Turn off time zone settings
Please keep in mind the historical issues of this phone when attempting to solve your battery issues-- while the phone itself is a work of art and functions wonderfully, the battery is a huge issue and something that will be a problem for you even after you implement these fixes into your daily routine.
In other words, these tips are merely a way to get more juice out of your phone throughout the day. They will not fix your battery issues outright.
That is something only an OS update from Apple will be able to accomplish.