Question about Dryers
I have a 20 year old electric dryer that normally works great. All at once the dryer stopped heating, but otherwise works normally. I took the dryer apart, checked continuity of the heat coil, hi limit thermostat. All seemed fine. I checked the connection of the power cord and noticed one of the wires broken and burnt at the connection. I started taking the terminal block apart and the stud that sticks out just came out of the block. I don't know what caused it, so I don't know if I should just replace the terminal block or if something else caused the wire breakage. Should I just replace the terminal block and see if it works? My worry is I could have a fire if something else is wrong? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
The problem is the terminal block, Vibration with the cord not being fastened to the block tight enough caused overheating at the block and it failed. Replace it.
Posted on Jul 19, 2013
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get to try the service completely Free afterwhich it costs $6 per call and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
doesn't matter both are 110v lines but if you want look up to top screw connections the wires coming to those screws are also colored as long as the red and black are to outside screws dryer will work ok
Posted on Aug 07, 2008
I had the same problem with my dryer. Fixed it with high temp wire (875 F) and end connectors rated for the same temperature. Make good connections between the wire and the connectors because if they are poor they will heat up as well. Sometimes the thermostat will cause this problem as well or an older heating element that is going bad.
Posted on Jan 18, 2009
you did not say how old? but I find that all it takes is one wire to get old, and starts to heat up because electric cant flow through it, then it gets worse and worse fast, then heats up the whole block, till the whole thing gets melted...bad thing is its happens slow enough that the standard 30 amp breaker won't trip during this slow melt down!
Posted on Mar 13, 2009
I would think that:
Low voltage. A lack of proper voltage increases the current flow (amps) and can cause overheating, thus, a burnt wire. Remember, the lower the voltage, the higher the amps.
Bad connection. Poor connections can cause small amounts of arcing, thus burning the connection. This adds resistance to the circuit which causes a possible voltage drop and, again overheating due to higher amps.
Since all that equipment is on the same circuit, I would really think it is a voltage drop situation. With everything calling for power at the same time, the breaker trips. In some cases, it may be just enough for the breaker not to trip but still have a low voltage situation.
There is the possibility of an over current, such as a power spike from the power company but it would have to happen more than just a time or two.
And the outside chance that lighting got into the system when it struck something close to you home but it, in almost every case, would destroy something else, usually electronic. (This has happened to me. Trashed my dryer, dishwasher, and answering machine.)
Good luck and hope this helps. Le me know how you come out.
Posted on May 11, 2009
Check the following to address this issue.
1. No power to the dryer
Make sure there's power getting to the dryer. Check for tripped circuit breakers or blown fuses. An electric dryer uses two circuit breakers or fuses, and if only one of two is tripped or blown, the dryer might still run but not heat. Sometimes the power cord disconnects or burns at the dryer, if this is the case, the wiring and the terminal block must be repaired or replaced.
2. Heating element
A burned out heating element will show no continuity when measured with a meter. Replace the element if found defective.
3. Thermal fuse
Most dryers have a thermal fuse, which burns out when the dryer overheats, in which case the dryer will either not run at all or stop heating. The fuse is usually located on the vent duct, inside the dryer. A blown fuse will show no continuity when measured with a meter. Before replacing the fuse, make sure the blower wheel is not broken or clogged, and there is nothing blocking the venting.
Posted on Jun 03, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
If you are having problems with your
gas dryer not heating the most common problem is that the ignitor
goes bad. Even though it glows sometimes it is still not working
you dryer is gas check out this gas
If you have an electric dryer, you can
have many different things that can go wrong causing the dryer not to
out this electric
Jul 30, 2010 | Fisher and Paykel DE09 Dryer
Mar 08, 2010 | Samsung DV218AEW Electric Dryer
Jan 16, 2010 | GE Profile DPSB620ECWW Electric Dryer
Jan 03, 2010 | Whirlpool LER4634J Electric Dryer
Sep 26, 2009 | Dryers
Jul 28, 2009 | Whirlpool LER5636P Electric Dryer
Oct 23, 2008 | Danby DCD5505W Electric Dryer
57 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!