Question about Garmin StreetPilot c340 GPS Receiver
Worked perfectly for year now battery won't charge and unit won't work. any suggestions i already tried resetting by taking off face plate without success. does nayone know toll free number for accessing garmin
Common issue. Steps to troubleshoot/solve:
1. Pull off face, press reset tab.
2. If unit wont turn on or if turns off immediately, connect to home computer using mini usb on side of gps (any usb cord that fits will do). This will charge the internal gps battery, which is discharged.
3. You will not be able to see the gps charge indicator while the usb cord is plugged into the unit. To check charge level, disconnect it, turn it on, and note the large "battery" icon.
4 Do you have a dead internal battery? If the gps holds a charge from your computer usb port, you don't.
5. If you have a dead battery, Google DIY replacement. With some soldering it can done for $15 total.
6. If you don't have a dead battery, the issue is charging from the cigarette lighter socket. Your car socket may have blown a fuse (check car manual). Your charger unit may have blown a fuse (unscrew the tip, check fuse inside). Also, some car sockets don't work when the ignition is off. Test yours.
7. There is a good chance the connection of the charger wire to the gps cradle is the problem. Fiddle with that. Replacement cradles are available for the c340 at about $25.
8. If your unit is not charging from the cradle/socket, buy a 12v usb cord. Plug into socket and into usb port of the gps. This is a workaround or alternative to buying a new cradle.
9. IMPORTANT: observe the "battery" icon while driving, esp. if you have doubts about charging. Basically, if you can see the icon, you're not connected to an outside (car or computer) power source. That is, if you can see the battery-charge indication, it means your battery is currently discharging and unless you get another power source to work it will be dead in a few hours.
Posted on Feb 04, 2010
I had the same problem and actually had my Garmin replaced. Much to my chagrin I just learned from a Garmin customer service rep. that all you have to do is charge the Garmin through your computer (using the USB cord) for a couple of hours and the charge will hold.
The car charger is only for temporary use I was told. The computer charger is the main power source for the Garmin. Hope this helps!
Posted on Nov 12, 2008
Garmin Nuvi 255 won't charge on the power or car charger? Tried pulling it into the PC but still won't charge.
Posted on Apr 22, 2010
I also have this problem, I replaced the battery with a new one and tried charging it through the pc. I wonder if Garmin disables the charging after a certain amount of usage.
Posted on Jan 16, 2010
If your in the US, 1-800-800-1020 In europe, 0808 238 0000 If you end up needing to replace the battery, here is a link to a vendor. http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/productprofile.asp?ProductGroupID=2358
Posted on Aug 27, 2007
My friend borrowed my Garmin and it shut down (presumably due to the fact it wasn't charging and it ran out of juice). They gave my friend another rent-a-car guessing it was the car's charger that wasn't working....but the garmin didn't work in the new car...they suggested it could be a fuse....so perhaps it could be the fuse and NOT the battery
Posted on Nov 07, 2007
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 07, 2011 | Garmin nuvi 1390T Car GPS Receiver
Jun 30, 2011 | Garmin nuvi 1450 GPS Receiver
Jul 24, 2009 | Garmin nuvi 205 GPS Receiver
Mar 30, 2009 | Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS Receiver
Jun 23, 2008 | Garmin StreetPilot c340 GPS Receiver
Mar 25, 2008 | Garmin Quest GPS Receiver
4,673 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: