Question about LaCie (301015) 120 GB Hard Drive
I have not used my external hard drive in awhile, but I went to go back up some work and when I plugged in the USB cord it did not show up, i tried different USB sockets and still nothing, I could hear the hard drive making noise, and also it would sometimes make a beeping sound...Also I have a mac...
One or more of the hints below will probably sort out most USB problems with most USB portable / external hard drives and OTHER devices (though not always)
A few things to check but assumes USB and Windows for other interfaces / operating systems (mac/ Linux) similar steps may be adapted to suit.
1. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port not a USB 1.0 port as this can have effects on performance and reliability
2. Use only the cables that came with it NOT one that fits that may have been lying around or is longer. Not all USB cables are equal even though they should be)
3. Do not connect through an external USB HUB unless that hub is USB 2.0 AND has its own power supply.
4. Use ONLY the power supply that came with it if it has an external power supply Don’t use any other unless you know it has both the same voltage and current rating e.g. 12V 500mA anything rated below that would not work properly.
5. Always use the same port for connecting your devices. Some devices do not like being switched about. If switched they may want to install software / drivers again. This can be especially true if you move a HUB to another port
6. For FLASH DRIVES you should ensure that the device is set for "quick removal" using the drive control panel properties or use the USB "Safely Remove Hardware" option. If you dont do this there is a very strong chance that any files you transfer may not be there when you plug into another computer.
7. It is possible to remove drives from the enclosures in most cases and connect directly inside a PC to fully check it.
You should also do this to cheack the drives connections are not bad inside the enclosure.
8. If none of the above steps help look at updating the drivers from the manufacturers web site in the support section.
9. If you checked and fixed anything there and still have issues then check your hardware from CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE.
Any exclamation marks by hardware need fixing before you investigate any further
USB flash drives can fail for no apparent reason.
Sandisk Cruzers are especially bad for this.
USB hard drives should be treated with extreme care.
This is a real hard drive ! and knocks and bumps can quite literally kill them.
Note that if you hear a drive clicking or pinging this could be the worst thing you would hear.
Known as "The Click Of Death"
Posted on Nov 05, 2009
I have the same problem once in a while too with my lacie rugged.. I'm lucky i also have a PC with windows on it and the program MacDrive. Windows XP with macdrive regonises it,.. and it allows me to backup the harddisk and reformat it.. I have not yet found a better sollutions
Posted on Nov 05, 2009
If you have access to a secondary PC or laptop, try connecting your drive to it using a different USB cable. Also try unplugging your drive from the power outlet for a few seconds and then connecting it again. Or you can try leaving it plugged in while restarting to see if it is recognized. Does your computer recognize other things you plug into it? If not, plug and play might be disabled.
Posted on Aug 23, 2007
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 18, 2014 | Toshiba Canvio 500 GB USB 20 Portable...
Jan 05, 2018 | Maxtor OneTouch USB (A01B120) 120 GB Hard...
Dec 30, 2009 | Iomega 1TB Desktop USB 2.0 Hard Drive
Jan 26, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Dec 08, 2008 | Seagate (9W2041-337) 40 GB Hard Drive
Sep 03, 2008 | Western Digital (WD3200JS) 320 GB Hard...
May 11, 2008 | Western Digital My Book Home Edition 500...
Feb 04, 2008 | Western Digital Passport WDXML800UE...
1,503 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: