The internal power connector has become loose and does not recharge the internal battery, I opened the unit and glued the connector back...''I tried soldering but it would not have it'' anyway I switched it on and got no power up at all, when I put it on charge there was no battery indicator on screen to indicate it was charging, I presume the hot shoe plate cable connector inside the unit has nothing to do with it, or do you think I should try and get it re-connected again? I have voided the warranty as I have opened it up myself...only having just getting it fixed because the same damn thing happened...any idea's anyone?
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.
An expert who has answered 20 questions.
Re: Broken Power adapter
External power adapter? if you broke open the gps receiver and used any glue make sure you didnt coat the silver looking tiny metal parts or you just insulated them from the power adapter.. scrape off the glue gently with a small flat screwdriver. double check your wires to it the center conductor is usually white or red but the outer is ground or copper braid or black wire also check and make sure you didnt
solder splash short the connector. gently tug on both wires if they bust loose you need to resolder proper 60-40 rosin core.
adapter problems is easy . get a meter and check for voltage out from it should be like 14 if rated 12v. also you can just plug it up and trace to point where the voltage is lost to battery.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Step by step troubleshooting.
Verify power outlet is good
Verify power adapter is good
verify connection to computer is good
fully charge battery
Check power source, plug known good light into AC receptical.
If AC cord has connector to power block verify it is properly seated.
plug adapter into AC outlet
Verify Power is present at power connector with another similar computer or voltmeter. (12V to 20V)
When plugged into computer, charge (not power) indicator MUST light either red, amber, or green. If not, connector on computer may be broken.
leave overnight or until charge light is green
turn on normally.
most likely causes:
- loose connector
- broken wire from power adapter
- broken power plug on computer.
- anything else is probably beyond ur capabilities to fix.
<a>HP, Compaq, Toshiba a</a>nd some others have problems with their AC adapter connectors on the motherboard. This is because they are not secured to the motherboard very well. They are just soldered to the board by the adapter leads. This puts stress on the leads whenever the plug is bumped or from plugging and unplugging the adapter. The adapter connector will, over time, become loose. The adapter will then not charge the battery, and when the battery becomes weak, the system will not power on. Some times, the unit will power on, but will shut off if the adapter plug is wiggled. If you continue to operate your system in this state, heat will build up from arcing at the ac connector and will burn the motherboard. If not repaired, the system board and CPU could be damaged beyond repair. Replacing the motherboard is then the only option<span> This could cost $350 and up. So the word is </span><span>GET IT REPAIRED EARLY</span>
If the laptop battery is more than 3 - 4 years old then the battery could be worn out. Rechargeable batteries have a finite number of charge and discharge cycles and will lose their charge capacity over time, i.e. won't charge to 100% and gradually the charge reduces until the battery won't charge up at all. OR The battery shows a 100% charge but when the adapter is disconnected the battery drops off to zero capacity in a very short time. If the battery drops to an unacceptable charge level then the battery needs to be replaced. Rechargeable batteries will fail if stored in a discharged state for long periods.
Symptoms of a broken power jack 1. If you wiggle the power cord or the AC Adapter connector on the back of the laptop, the power LED and battery charge LED start to flicker. 2. Battery will not charge in the laptop. 3. Laptop runs fine off a charged battery. 4. With the AC Adapter connected the laptop appears to be dead. No power LED or battery charge LED activity. 5. Laptop randomly powers off without any warning.
If your laptop is out of warranty, then you can fix the problem by re-soldering DC-IN jack on the system board. If it
If the battery is 2 years old, then buy a replacement battery, see if it charges. Portable batteries are good for roughly 300 to 500 recharge/discharge cycles before they begin to fail roughly 18 months. Dell warrants the Battery for 1 year, so there is no warranty on the battery. If a replacement battery doesn't charge, then the motherboard will need to be replaced. If under warranty, Dell will fix it, if not, motherboards are $100-150 on Ebay.
Is the connection on the Laptop loose? Most power connectors are soldered onto the motherboard and are notorious for becoming loose. If the connector is loose you it may be shorting out the adapter. I would have a professional look at it before plugging the adapter back into it. If you are shorting out the adapter it could present a fire hazard. Most laptop repair companies will resolder the connector for around a $100.
If the Laptop wont work off the power adepter, it also will not charge. The adepter could be bad (even if showing a power light) or the connector on the laptop could be broken. The best test is to take the battery out, attach the poweradepter and try to start the computer if it starts, your battery is at fault. If nothing, suspect eh charger first. Be sure the pin on the Laptop power connector isn't bent or broken.
The power connector within the laptop maybe broken. Not sure about Dell's but many laptops have only solder points holding the internal power connector to the motherboard. With too much agitation, the internal power connector becomes loose and then broken.
More info will help, does a light show on the laptop when it is plugged in? Have you tried removing the battery and lettting the laptop sit for about 10 mins, without any power? Have you re-seated the ram?
These are all possibilities of the symptom you have. Let me know and G'luck!