Question about Maytag Neptune MAH5500B Front Load Washer
I have the Neptune front loading washer for about 5 years now and nothing will get rid of that black mold around the drum. I've tried cleaning it with bleach but nothing helps. The inside also stinks. I wash all my cleaning rags in hot water with bleach and that doesn't get rid of the odor either. If I leave the door open as suggested, then the readouts stay lit reminding me that the door is open. I'm afraid they will burn out and one of my animals get in there. I had heard they had a class action lawsuit for this problem but I was never aware of it till it was too late.
I had this disgusting problem - shared by all makes of front loaders - and learned from a chemist on line:
1) Use only HE detergent.
2) Use a TINY (TINY!) amount of detergent.
I use about a tablespoon = 2 short pumps on the Tide dispenser. It is sufficient to totally clean the clothes without feeding the black mold. You will be surprised. The chemist described how a tiny amount does all that is necessary to rearrange the molecules to make dirt magnets. The detergent manufacturers encourage overuse. Are the machine manufacturers wary of reducing the profits of their partners in the laundry biz? All the excess detergent just pollutes freshwater after having served no purpose except to feed the mold.
3) Leave the door slightly ajar at all times for air circulation. I use the plastic cup lid from the liquid detergent as a prop.
4) I thoroughly cleaned with citric acid (Glisten for dishwasher cleaning) and though it is still somewhat stained, there is no active growth.
5) With all the above precautions, I do not have to be constantly cleaning the gasket. (I predominantly use cold water washes. No need to waste water doing super hot no-clothes washings.)
6) Once the gasket is cleaned and the drum is washed out, you will have a new lease on enjoying your high efficiency machine. It took me a while to have faith that the slime and mold would not grow back, especially since I was NOT doing all the special treatments often recommended. I just made the microbial environment too dry and didn't feed them surplus detergent. Doing laundry is simpler than ever and far less negative for my septic system.
Posted on Aug 05, 2015
I had same problem with my Nepturne washer. Repairman came to house to repair circuit board and mentioned there was a recall on rubber gasket. He replaced with new gasket that has a drain hose on bottom (where water stands) and resolved problem.
Posted on Oct 11, 2007
Make a boil wash (with no clothes and detergents) put in the powder's drawer a cup of bicarbonate of soda. It should clean the machine and move out the bad smell. Good luck!
Posted on Aug 21, 2007
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 24, 2012 | Maytag Neptune MAH6500A Front Load Washer
Nov 24, 2010 | Maytag Neptune MAH5500B Front Load Washer
Jul 26, 2010 | Maytag Neptune MAH5500B Front Load Washer
Nov 08, 2009 | Maytag MAH6700AWW Neptune Front-Load...
Aug 08, 2009 | Maytag Neptune MAH5500B Front Load Washer
May 27, 2009 | Maytag MAH6700AWW Neptune Front-Load...
Sep 08, 2008 | Maytag MAH6700AWW Neptune Front-Load...
847 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: