I too fixed my IQ 3600 satellite-acquiring problem, with a $20 Gilsson external antenna. This was after I'd paid Garmin $150 just last year to repair the same problem. They ended up sending me a different unit.
I'm not very happy with Garmin. I bought my IQ 3600 in 2004 for what seemed to me like big bucks. Just 2 1/2 years later I paid $150 to get it repaired. If Garmin had its way, just a year later I'd again pay for another repair (now $200!) Hmmm, is it worth it? I don't think so!
I love Ginger when she works, but she don't work so good! Thank goodness the external antenna fixes the problem! Otherwise, I'd be a-fussin' and a-fumin'.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Receiver sensitivity seems to vary much more on GPS receivers than any other device I've seen.
Yours may not have even specified minimum sensitivity so you may not be able to receive a large enough number of satellite signals (you must have several) to guarantee a 'lock' and adequate accuracy unless you have a clear view of the sky.
Any kind of obstruction can affect signal strength such as using it in a vehicle or building and not having it 'see' enough sky to function.
If this is a new problem, it may simply have gone bad, but if new or still warranted, I would contact Garmin for an RMA.
Make sure the satellite receiver is properly connected to the television and that you are on the right input. Then make sure that the satellite receiver is properly connected to the cable outlet (common problem; people get the co-axial hook ups on the box mixed up).
If you are still not getting any signal, see if you can find the signal quality or signal reading in the main menu. Make sure that you have a signal at least over 80% (a few 0's on individual transponders are fine). IF you are getting some of your transponders, it's probably an issue with a connection, the dish, or the multiswitch. If you are not getting any signal at all, the cable is probably not connected to the system.
Sometimes, satellite receivers do go bad (just like any other electronic). If you know that the cable is good and that it's connected to the system and you try to hook up another receiver to the cable and that one works, then you can conclude that the receiver in question is faulty.
My understanding is that the Digital signal is weaker than the analog, so need a stronger antenna to pick up the digital signal, and MAY still not get any reception at all. Have you considered satellite for you RV? Won't need the converter at all then.
I have the same exact problem. I took a small needle nose pliers and pressed the antenna connection on the TAO radio. I put it back into the cradle of my Altec Lansing amplified speakers. It works again. For how long we will see.
That sounds about right, about the audio processor IC most likly being the culprit. To repair this, a test tone should be inserted into the unit, and using an ocilliscope to trace the audio waveform through the circuit, and see where it craps out. There could also be a regulator componet from the power supply that is going out after start up and becoming intermittant. Sorry to say in this case there is no wasyy fix unless you have a schematic and the proper equipment. Time to take the unit into the reciver repair Place. Good Luck