Question about HP Officejet Pro L7780 All-In-One InkJet Printer
I've had 3 L7780 units and each has the same issue. HP acknowledges they know of it but can offer no solution beyond "try a different unit". Upon inputting the WEP password for a wireless network the printer states it is active on the network but instantly freezes and has to actually be reset by pushes the 6 and # key while unplugging and then reinserting the power cord. You can't even turn it off or unplug it to break the freeze. HP says it has something to do with the Linksys wireless router. Any clues? I know it won't hold a manually input IP address. It constantly resets to all zeros.
There is a solution posted here. https://youtu.be/_0dKC_Hoa08 Essentially update the firmware to R2011. The firmware update does not show up on the HP support site for Win 7,8 or 10 but you can download and install the firmware using a different version of windows.
Posted on Oct 01, 2017
After finding out the hard reset code I have simply plugged my printer into my D-Link router via ethernet cable, problem solved using this workaround. Obviously this doesn't resolve the actual problem which is using wireless to connect the printer, but this solution works for me since both printer and router devices are next to each other in my office.
Posted on Jan 09, 2009
1. The wireless configuration cannot be used with any security protocol, or it will always freeze. It might be possible with MAC address filtering, but haven't tried it.
2. You need either a cross-over cable, wired hub, or wired router. In my case, I used an old Linksys wired router which gave out DHCP addresses.
3. Un-plug the HP L7780. Un-plug your wireless router.
4. With no wireless AP on, plug in the printer. Patch it to the wired hub so it gets an address. Patch your laptop/computer to the same router and get another wired address. Alternately, you could use a hub or cross-over cable and assign the L7780 an IP and subnet mask thru the front panel such as 192.168.1.101/255.255.255.0 and assign you computer a similar IP--192.168.1.102/255.255.255.0. If a hub, plug each into hub, if a cross cable is used, connect computer and printer directly.
5. Open your browser to the printe's IP, ex. 192.168.1.101 and the embedded web applet will appear.
Go to the networking tab and click on "Wireless networking" and assign the IP, subnet mask, gateway, and DNS server (on home network, same as the gateway) of your preferred wireless network.
6. Click "apply" or submit; click thru any warnings about not being able to connect.
7. Disconnet devices from wired hub or cable and plug in your wireless AP. In my case, the L7780 did not retain the IP I assigned, but did acquire a new DHCP address from the AP.
8. Print out config sheet, open a browser, go to the assigned IP and change the settings to the ones you want.
A+, Network+, and MCP
Posted on Jan 09, 2009
I just started having this problem today after I upgraded my old Linksys router to a WRT54GS.
Posted on Nov 06, 2008
This is not just a Linksys issue, I am having the same problem with a new wireless router from Rukus. I have attempted to connect with various security setting, including none, and the printer freezes after it connects to the router. The printer works fine when I try to connect it to my DLink wireless router.
Posted on Nov 13, 2007
Beth, Any details on what firmware version worked for you. Have a WRT54GS V7 -- and having same darn issue!! - Jen
Posted on Aug 21, 2007
Thanks, Beth. I am only on my 2nd L7780 unit but am struggling with the exact same problem. Which Firmware patch did you download from the Linksys website? Thanks, Sharon
Posted on Dec 14, 2007
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 11, 2011 | HP Officejet Pro L7780 All-In-One InkJet...
Jul 29, 2011 | LG LS-K1830CL Cool Mini Split Air...
Feb 07, 2011 | HP Officejet Pro L7780 All-In-One InkJet...
Nov 20, 2010 | HP Officejet Pro L7780 All-In-One InkJet...
Jun 23, 2009 | HP Officejet 6310 All-In-One InkJet...
Mar 19, 2009 | HP Pavilion dv9000z Notebook
Nov 02, 2007 | HP OfficeJet 7410 All-In-One InkJet...
Sep 05, 2007 | HP Officejet Pro L7780 All-In-One InkJet...
664 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!