Question about GE Microwave Ovens
I was cooking in my pressure cooker today and the plug popped off (not the valve or the lid, a little plug on the lid) and soaked my whole kitchen, especially the over the range microwave. I cleaned it up, let it dry and all seemed well until I tried to heat something. The lights work fine (both inside and the under-lights), the fan, the rotating plate, screen... everything is fine it's just that it will not heat up and it was working just fine prior to this incident. I have a GE JVM1540DMBB and it's 4 years old. I was wondering if it could be something simple or if it's something major; don't want to fix it if it's cheaper to buy a new one. Thanks
There is a small sensor in the micro wave that controls the heat. You probably got water on the connections and shorted it out.
Posted on May 01, 2013
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: GE microwave oven
Does the turntable rotate? If everything but this works (except no heat), you probably have a bad door switch. Here's a discussion of what's involved in replacing it: http://www.fixya.com/support/t267796-kenmore_microwave_hood_combination_over
If the turntable does rotate, I'd suspect a more significant failure, such as the transformer, capacitor, or magnetron. If it's any of these, it's time to replace the unit.
Posted on Dec 11, 2007
SOURCE: metal pot
The magnetron may have gotten overheated. This could very well shorten its life.
Of course one should never leave a microwave unattended while it's running, but this rule is even more important for this oven now.
I would just use it as normal but keep an eye on it. If it clears up, good news. If it gets worse, then please reply back and let us know what your new symptoms are.
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Mar 30, 2008
Your magnetron tube has failed. According to the warranty on the Profile Series microwave ovens, the magnetron is covered for 5 years from the date of purchase, but labor is not included. I would call GE Customer Service and when they ask for the model number (which begins with JVM) and the serial number, be sure to give the date of purchase as the date you closed on your house. If they insist upon charging you for a service call and labor, I would call my builder's Customer Service Department and demand (very nicely) that they intervene with GE to waive the service and labor charges. That worked for me (Lennar Homes).
Posted on Aug 07, 2008
If the blade is not big enough, the motor not powerful enough, or the vent size is wrong then it will not work properly, On thing you can do is check the vent cap and make sure that it has not falling down onto the vent pipe and blocking air movement.
Posted on Feb 11, 2009
More than likely the magnetron has failed. This could be for a number of reason. Do you use your microwave to heat wheat packs or warm plates? If so, you may have dried the magnetron out (they use the moisture in whatever you're cooking to heat it, and plates/wheat bags have no moisture).
I'd say a trip to your local Microwave repairer could be in order. It could also be the High Voltage Fuse which has failed. Either way a repairer will be able to tell you!
Posted on Mar 25, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 14, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Aug 24, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Jul 25, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
May 30, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Apr 23, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Mar 05, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Jun 24, 2010 | Microwave Ovens
May 19, 2010 | Microwave Ovens
Dec 23, 2008 | Microwave Ovens
Dec 16, 2008 | Microwave Ovens
67 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!