Question about GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Deep hard core cleaning

My family uses the oven function of this Micro/Oven combo alot. It has gotten really crusty on the inside. i have used the wet sponge method to clean and it did get the surface items, however i need to know the best way to clean off the baked on crusty items. I called the repair company and they had me order "Micro Bryte" to clean it. When i read the back it stated "NOT TO USE ON STAINLESS STEAL" So now i am asking for the best way to clean this up so I can start over and keep it maintained and cleaned regularly. Thanks for your help.

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • GE Master
  • 8,795 Answers
Re: Deep hard core cleaning

From Microwave - Cleaning Recommendations To minimize the possibility of electric shock, unplug the microwave from the power supply before attempting any maintenance or cleaning. Spills and spatters clean up easily with a damp, soapy paper towel or sponge. It is best to clean soil as soon as it appears. Baking soda and water may also be used. If the food has cooked onto the interior, heat one cup of water on full power for three minutes. The heat and steam help to soften the food. After the three minutes, allow five additional minutes stand time then clean as usual. A non-abrasive scrubbing pad cleaner works well for stubborn stains. You may use mild dish washing liquid or cleaners specifically listed for cleaning interiors of microwave ovens such as MicroBryte® (wx10x3030) or Microwave Oven Magic®. We do not recommend using other detergent based cleaners because they can cause the plastic parts to crack. You may purchase microwave interior cleaner by calling our parts department at 1-800-626-2002, on-line from GE Parts or from your local grocer. For stainless steel interiors of microwave/convection models, we recommend a plastic, soap-filled scouring pad. Rubbing gently with this pad will help remove soil. For the door surfaces (both interior and exterior) We recommend you use only mild, non-abrasive soaps, or detergents applied with a sponge, or soft cloth. For the control panel Wipe with a soft, damp cloth. Dry immediately with a soft cloth. Do not spray any solution directly onto the controls Important: Commercial Oven Cleaners, abrasive cleaners, or cleaners containing ammonia or bleach (can make the plastic brittle) should not be used on any part of the microwave. -- From me - Maybe local restaurants in your area would have some tips? Otherwise, try a Google search for keywords: cleaning stainless steel oven

Posted on Sep 28, 2007

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Microwave will not run a cook cycle. Touchpad functions until door is opened or start button is pressed. When door is opened display goes dark. When door shuts display lights all characters and then says...

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING DISCONNECT OVEN FROM POWER. I do NOT recommend doing repair by yourself, if you NOT are really very familiar with electric repair, or have at least basic training in electric device repair and maintenance.
"When door is opened display goes dark. When door shuts display lights all characters and then says "touch clock"."
Obviously, by opening door, oven gets disconnected form power line.
This is mostly caused by loose connections on wiring socket, and can be anywhere inside. Check security micro switch on door latch. This switch normally disables only running the oven when door is open, for security reasons. In your case, it seems that opening door disconnects oven from input power. Sometimes the switch is loose, or wires are not firmly pushed in the socket. If the power line wiring is loose, and by opening door looses contact with socket, it can touch metal housing inside, cause short, electric shock, serious even mortal injury and fire. This is dangerous high voltage switch, and to access it one must open oven from the back and take off the cover. I do not recommend doing it by your self.
Rem: Replacement micro switch is couple dollars.

Oct 24, 2014 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Try2910227 serial ywmh2205xvb-0 model arcing on the back corner were the rack sits.Is there a way to repair this seen is the unit was purchaced in June of 2011.

Yes, take the rack out and recycle it. I do not know why these micro-wave company put racks in the micro wave ovens. You get some insulation on the inside the micro flaking off next the rack.

The mega-tron tube is a very high energy transmitter. The energy will come out of the top inside the micro wave oven in a wave guide. Micro wave energy that generation by the tube is high frequency into Gega Hertz. You have a metal tray in side the micro wave acts like a big capacitor it stores energy in form of heat the next you know it look like Marconi is putting on a lighting display.

Leave the wire tie on a loft of bread and put in you micro wave oven to defrost. The next thing you might see is a load bread burning, instant toast. ----The use of micro wave were invented by the British before WWII. The mega tron tube generation very high frequency radio wave and these wave struck an object 100 miles away some of this beam energy would balance back to a receiver-----You have Radar.... I wish you and your family well being and be careful of micro wave ovens it can burn from inside out. GB you...stewbison

Aug 22, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

We cannot recall how to get the self cleaning oven to function


Before you go working too hard to get you oven to go into the self clean mode(self destruct)....check out this tip...

Self Cleaning Oven Problem


" Wish I had read this first. I never would have used the self cleaning option. Thanks for the info!!

Dec 24, 2010 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

When I turn the oven on, there is a chemical smell. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it makes the oven unusable. I am the third owner of the oven and once a few years ago did use the self-clean...

you check your oven inside? pls check inside i think the smell is came from inside the oven mostly the oven is not claen properly especially in upper inside the oven,that why evry time you use smell is coming coz of heating the dirty inside.

Dec 17, 2010 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Maytag: microwave and wall oven unit together - The oven works fine and the microwave constantly blows a fuse inside the microwave unit - is this a sign of a more serious problem? If so, can I buy a new...

Hi.. It sounds as if you have a Chassis diode that is failing in your Microwave. Intermittent fuse blowing can also be cause by a misadjusted door interlock micro switch. Also you can have the large capacitor inside your microwave chasiss that is occasionally shorting out from use. Based what you described here there is no need to replace the entire unit. Have it repaired as the cost of repair vs replacement are somewhat reasonable.

Jan 04, 2010 | Maytag MMV1153A Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Micro 6654438991 power surge from pole, light works, panel dead

Sounds like you should get estimates and turn in on homeowners insurance. Power surges are very destructive and you have lost the control board at least and maybe some switches. Eric

Aug 08, 2009 | Whirlpool GH7145XF Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I am using the National Microwave Oven NN-577WF and the start button doesn't work

Does the oven display the time on the LCD display? if yes there cud be a problem with the switch pad or any one of the micro switches or safety switches that are placed inside the oven. If u do not understand the functioning of microwave ovens please do not attempt tp open it urself as it is dangerous to do so without knowledge. Capacitors inside may hold charge of upto 2000 volts

Jul 01, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Deep Cleaning techniques for GE spacemaker Convection microwave

Try simple green. It is great at eating through grease. It may take a few times but it works. It is biodegardable. I used it at one of my old jobs for cleaning grease off of glass and use it in my home as well.

Apr 19, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer


It will have to be sanded smooth and clean and dried thoroughly.

Then you can apply high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Builder's Square.

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

William E. Miller, AS-EET

Apr 21, 2008 | Dacor DMT2420 1200 Watts Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven Logo

326 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8795 Answers


Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides