Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

No heating or power to microwave oven

During heating a cup of water in the microwave it became hot enough to blow the door open along with hot water out the microwave. A day later no power to heat.Turn table and light does not come on either. Can you help. Its a kenmore micro/ electric oven combo unit. Less than 2years old. Please help if you can. thanks jerome

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.

    Sergeant:

    An expert that hasĀ over 500 points.

    Champion:

    An expert who has answered 200 questions.

  • Expert
  • 234 Answers

You have a fuse in the back that's problem is blown

Posted on Mar 13, 2009

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

2 Answers

What causes microwave to blow new fuse?


The only thing inside a microwave oven that draws enough current to blow a fuse is the magnetron that generates the microwaves to provide the cooking power. Based on the age of the unit (approx 15 years) it is most likely best to just replace it as repairs at that level are not cost effective. Newer units cook better and faster using less power these days.

Jul 02, 2015 | Sharp Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

The manual tells me to test the product by heating a cup of water for 30 seconds


Bernard,
I usually will test a cup of water for 60 seconds and it should be hot enough that you would not want to leave you finger in the water more than a couple of seconds. It would not be hot enough for most people to use for coffee or some other hot beverage but it would be hot enough to burn your finger if you leave it in there for very long. If it is still lukewarm after running for 60 seconds you probably have a problem with some of the major components and depending on the age of your microwave it might be cheaper to replace the microwave with a new one. Hope this helps you!

Apr 12, 2015 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

DOESNT HEAT UP


If the oven light and carousel lights up when you try to heat water in the oven, then your best bet is the fuse for the microwave oven is open. Unplug the oven, open the case after 30 minutes. Be careful of the capacitors. You will see something like a small plastic casing along one of the wires, usually color white. This can be opened. Usually a spare fuse is alongside, remove the fuse and replace it with exactly the same kind and rating. This fuse is not ordinary. It is about 1/8 inch diameter by 2inches approximately. Be careful that you get exactly the same rating of fuse. When you are done, place the plastic fuse case cover secure in place. Then put back the cover. Be careful that you replace the cover very well back. Be sure that you did not detach the door when you are removing the cover. If you have detached the door, you have a serious problem. Your oven might leak and you will have radiation burns. Place a cup of water inside the oven to test it and run the oven for 30 seconds.

Jan 16, 2014 | Morphy Richards GBD239H9B Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave stops working when heating food


Foods that are low in density or low in moisture (such as bacon and popcorn, respectively) can cause the magnetron to overheat.

That's because there is not enough of either mass or moisture to absorb enough of the microwave energy put out by the oven.

The excess energy then reflects back to the magnetron and causes a standing wave (like a poorly tuned transmitter antenna) and causes the magnetron to overload and overheat.

When the mag gets too hot, it trips the magnetron thermostat, a protective device which rests when it cools.

If this overheating is a persistent problem, a stopgap is to put about 1/3 to 1/2 a cup of water in a microwave-safe container (a Pyrex measuring cup is ideal) in a REAR CORNER of the microwave whenever you cook such items. This will help absorb excess energy, but you may have to increase cooking time just a little.

And of course I always suggest that food items be placed off-center in the microwave, NOT in the center of the turntable, otherwise the food is not exposed evenly enough to the microwave energy and will not heat as efficiently as it could.

(Placing it in the center is sort of like stirring paint by twirling a stick in the center instead of pulling it around in a circle in the paint can).

Such inefficient heating wastes the energy at best, and at worst it puts a strain on the magnetron.

If a magnetron is repeatedly subjected to such stress, it will prematurely fail. It will also draw excessive current, which can strain the high-voltage transformer.

That in turn will often lead to the oven's drawing excessive current, resulting in a hot cord and plug, and the fuse will blow - hopefully before the transformer or magnetron does!

An overheating magnetron can be due to:

  • operating oven without cover(s) in place
  • wrong magnetron installed in oven
  • an old or otherwise failing magnetron
  • cracked magnetron magnet
  • improper power line voltage (should be 110-125VAC)
  • foods low in moisture (popcorn & bacon, e.g. - add 1/2 cup of water in rear oven)
  • failed or inoperable cooling fan or hood vent exhaust fan
  • deteriorating foam weatherstripping seals in air ducts or on outside cover
  • blocked air vents (dust, animal nest debris, insufficient free air space behind & around oven, etc.)
  • clogged or greasy charcoal filter or grease filter
  • blocked duct in hood vent exhaust

Jan 07, 2013 | Danby Designer Series DMW111KPSSDD

1 Answer

Stops working after 20 seconds


The magnetron is over heating causing the thermal fuse to open to cut power, the only option is replace the part, but keep in mind it is the most expensive item to install.

May 07, 2012 | Bosch HMT9626GB Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Opening the door blows the fuse


more than likely you door safety switch has a short and every time you pull the door open the connections arc and trip the breaker or blows the fuse.

Aug 24, 2009 | GE JVM1190SY/WY/AY/BY Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Not heating


Sounds like the magnetron has failed. This is the component that produces the microwaves that heats the food.

The cost of the magnetron is about 95% of the cost of a microwave oven. Most people don't, for this reason, replace the magnetron, they replace the whole oven which is probably what you will end up doing.

There is a possibility that the circuit that provides power to the magnetron is faulty and you need to take it apart, find the proper electrical leads and test them with a volt meter. To do this you have to remove it from its mounting and take it apart. It is a fairly lengthy process however.


Benjamin

May 27, 2009 | Sharp Microwave Oven Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Self start when door closes


if electronic control, one of two things come to mind. 1)your toutch pad is defective.replace it. 2)you electronic board has a leaky component.not very likly though. believe it or not, ive seen it start before by itself then i noticed a large quantity of bugs inside the glass which i realised triggered the microwave 0ff.

Jul 23, 2007 | GE JVM1460SA Microwave Oven

4 Answers

GE Microwave problems after HV capacitor replacement???


The rectifier diode could indeed be bad. But first I would want to know what value (in uF) the old one was and what is the value of the new one? If they're too far off, the difference in the capacitive reactance could throw off the "tuning" of the circuit. The uF value of the capacitor is optimized in relation to the other components used in the system. Of course, you'd also want to be sure your new cap is at or slightly above the working voltage rating of the old one, too.

Jan 04, 2007 | GE JVM2050 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

142 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9042 Answers

Gerry Harvey
Gerry Harvey

Level 3 Expert

1456 Answers

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

70387 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...