Question about Pignose Legendary 7-100 Electric Guitar Amplifier

1 Answer

Pignose guitar amplifier

Scratchy volume pot - alot of static crackling type noise when turned - what to do? If replace volume pot where to buy?

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

If you have one of the older original pignose 7-100 amps the volume pot will be a 10k audio pot. If it's a later model it will be a 50k audio pot and your local Radio Shack should have one and if not they can get one. Or go online to Mouser Electronics, All Electronics or any one you prefer and order it online and it will show up right in your mailbox. Let me know if your pignose is an older original model. If so then you may be able to do me a favor regarding the same model, thanks, Bob

Posted on Apr 22, 2016


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:


Electronics spray cleaner

The most common problem with guitar amplifiers

and other electronics that are making noise or cutting out

or sticking and not working correctly is a simple fix...

I use Radio Shack electronics spray contact cleaner

for most of my basic repairs

in the pictures posted I show the basics you need....

some screw drivers, basic knowledge, paper towels,

electronics spray contact cleaner, and a knife

First I carefully remove the nobs (volume control, tone control, etc...)

I use napkins to mask the area and keep from scratching the surface

Then I carefully spray into the (control} and work in back and forth....

the Best way is to spray directly into the potentiometer

that requires access to the internal chassis

on a quality pot there is a Notch that you want to spray into

on a standard pot just spray....

this will repair any scratchy noise or sound that cuts out

on guitar and bass amplifiers,

also can be applied to many other common basic sound problems

I hope this helps someone out?

i could Not upload photos? so please check My link....

on Mar 13, 2015 | Music

1 Answer

On a Technic SU 610 amp, it makes a crackling noise when turning the volume pot up, if done slowly its not as bad but still makes a noise?

If it ocours only when turning your volume pot then the pot is worn or dirty inside. I f you are handy get a new pot that is EXACTLY the same and replace it It is simple if you can solder as there is usually only tree connections

Nov 28, 2012 | Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer

Crackling noise with my volume knob when i turn the volume

It's probably dust in the volume control. It gets in between the carbon track and the wiper that rotates on the track, or the resistive / carbon track inside the control is wearing out. As yours is stereo there will be 2 tracks and 2 wipers, one could be worn more than the other.
This should give you an idea. Inside Pot

May 05, 2012 | Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer

Static at louder volumes

All you need to confirm is to remove the connection to the guitar, remove the jack and cord to the guitar and now check if the noise is prevalent at higher volume, when the volume control is turned up. If so the fault is with the cord , the jack or the gutiar pick up insulation or internal connection or shielding.
Cross check with a seperate cord or another amplifier to confirm the case.
If the noise is from within the amplifier then it is possible there is fault in the preamplifier, fault with shielding of the inputs or the preamp, broken groung connection.
Compliments of the Season.

Dec 24, 2011 | Roland Ac60 Acoustic Chorus Guitar...

1 Answer

Replacing the volume pot on a Gibson ES335.The best method for getting the old pot out of the guitar to enable it to be unsoldered and the new item to be soldered in it's place and put back into the...

If the volume pot is scratchy noisy, FIRST try squirting a bit of CRC226 into the pot. CRC226 is available at Home Depot in the electrical department. There are other CRC products there so be sure to get the 226 type. About $2.75 a can.

The product is also good to use in slide pots on mixers. Use sparingly, it doesn't take much. For rotary pots you often can use the spout to spray into the slot where the terminals go into the pot.

Sep 20, 2010 | Gibson Es345 Reissue Vintage

1 Answer

Dirty high switch on a Crate practice amp

NEVER use switch cleaner such as DeOxit on pots !!!!!

I have used CRC226 available at Home Depot electrical dept.

I SUSPECT that the resistance element in that pot is cracked. This is common if the knob sustained a hit. Replacing the pot is the only cure if the element is cracked.

Reviewing the schematic, ALL audio passes through the wiper on the HIGH tone pots. If the wiper is intermittent, so will be the sound.

If your unit is solid state amp, the pot looks like a 10K ohm LINEAR taper.
If you have a tube type, then the pot is a 250K ohm LINEAR.

Note that the other tone pots in the units are AUDIO tapers, but the high is a linear taper.

Get repair parts from either or

Mar 23, 2010 | Crate Music

2 Answers

Marshall MG50 DFX, the volume knob OD channel crackles

Either the control is damaged (happens if they get hit) or it is possible the circuit board it is mounted on has broken solder OR worse, a crack near the control. The unit will require servicing. Parts are readily available.

Jan 28, 2010 | Marshall Mg50dfx 50-Watt Combo Guitar...

1 Answer

Technics su-v560 stereo amp crackling

That is a common symptom of not properly grounding of negative side of the output of power amplifier section.Just resolder all component parts joint in power amp.sectiton and double the solder all negative ground.Also clean the pots of all volume controls and selector with a lighter fluid or desame that fluid so whatever sound or crackling noise eliminated and works normal again.. Hope it may help you;;

Jun 08, 2009 | Technics Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer

Volume goes up and down on its own + a lot of scrachy noises when

You have dirty potentiometer (pot) controls. Unfortunately to clean them properly you will have to remove the amplifier from the wooden cabinet. If you're not comfortable doing this then send it to a local musical instrument/amp repair shop.

1) Disconnect AC power (duh)
2) After carefully documenting all connections, unplug/disconnect speaker, footswitch and the reverb wires on the back of the amplifier.
3) Look for four screws along top of wood cabinet that hold the inverted amplifier in place (thank you Leo Fender). Normally there is a wood block that will prevent the amplifier chassis from dropping down as the four screws are removed BUT assume nothing.
4) When amplifier is completely free from the cabinet top, carefully slide it out the backside.
5) Up on the bench avoid the filter capacitors (look like a C size battery) in the amplifier chassis located over by the AC power cord as they may still hold an electrical charge.
6) Look for the three terminals exiting each pot along the front of the amplifier chassis. Using a PLASTIC SAFE tuner/control cleaner/lube (Radio Shack Model 64-4315/Catalog #64-4315) aim the extension nozzle into the open area where the three terminals enter the pot.
7) Turn the pot knob CW/CCW while dispensing a small amount of.the control cleaner. Repeat with all controls.
8) Re-assemble (don't forget to reconnect all the wiring from step #2) and download a couple of new guitar TAB's for proper testing inspiration.....Glen :-)

Apr 07, 2009 | Peavey AMPLIFIER, 1000 WPC, DDT, 8/4/2...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Pignose Legendary 7-100 Electric Guitar Amplifier Logo

Related Topics:

145 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Pignose Audio Players & Recorders Experts


Level 3 Expert

102366 Answers


Level 3 Expert

5126 Answers

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

74243 Answers

Are you a Pignose Audio Player and Recorder Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides