Question about Microwave Ovens
NO Panel Display
Posted by Anonymous on
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
A microwave can be dead for many reasons.
The fuse is normally located on the floor of the chassis behind the control panel or between the door switches.
If the fuse is good, it may be an open thermostat or thermal cutout (TCO) / thermal fuse on or near the magnetron or on top of the cavity / body of the oven.
If it goes dead for a while during or after cooking then comes back on, the magnetron is probably overheating and causing the magnetron thermostat to open.
Then when it cools, it closes the circuit and allows power through again.
When checking thermostats, if it has a hood fan thermostat, that should read open, as opposed to the others, which should read closed.
If it went dead almost immediately after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a shorted high-voltage capacitor.
If it went dead a few seconds after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a failing high-voltage transformer.
If it goes dead or blows the breaker when you plug it in or open or close the door, then there's a problem with a door switch or door switch mount.
If it's intermittent or random, it may be a bad connection, usually on the control board or a loose fuse holder, or even an intermittent fuse.
You should do a continuity test on the fuse while it's in the holder (with the microwave unplugged, of course) then turn the fuse by hand or take it out and put it back in, then test it again.
If you remove the fuse, then press the meter leads against the ends, it can allow internal contact to be made and make a bad fuse appear to be good.
If you or someone you know decide to look into it, we have critical safety information and disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Jun 23, 2008
Might or might not work. IT worked for me.
This is a common problem. i havent completly solved it yet but this helps.
Be very careful doing this, There is Voltages with AMPERAGES high enough to boil your blood inside a microwave.
I had mine apart cleaning it. Only one number worked on my display. I wiggled and messed around with the wires in the back of the display. And almost every number in the display works again. Hope this helps.
Posted on Mar 07, 2009
You have to replace the control board. Sharp has had problems with the display boards for awhile. There is no bulb or fuse you can change.
Posted on Mar 15, 2009
I too believe that a "protection fuse" was possibly blown. It would need to be found and get replaced. Hopefully it is just a fuse and nothing else because the way it sounds to me, the microwave may be damaged.
Posted on Jun 11, 2009
Are you talking about the light inside the microwave? The front vent I think will allow you to get to the bulb. Should be a couple of small scrrews holding the vent cover on, remove them take vent off. Start it up again and see if the light bulb wiring or socket is arcing
Posted on Sep 17, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 22, 2016 | Sharp Microwave Ovens
Nov 15, 2015 | Sharp Microwave Ovens
Jan 09, 2015 | Sharp Carousel R530EST Microwave Oven
May 04, 2012 | Sharp Carousel R530EST Microwave Oven
Aug 12, 2011 | Sharp R-1750 Microwave Oven
Nov 17, 2017 | Sharp R-1874 Convection/Microwave Oven
May 07, 2009 | Sharp Microwave Ovens
Oct 26, 2017 | Sharp R-1480 Microwave Oven
Dec 27, 2008 | Sharp R-1750 Microwave Oven
Jul 10, 2008 | Sharp Microwave Ovens
86 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!