- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Unfortunately when the metal probe was inserted in the ham it caused the magnetron to arc to the probe causing it to short out, but usually the thermal fuse will open and shut the system down preventing damage. It usually takes 30 to 60 minutes for the fuse to reset and allow the microwave to run, try heating water! if you are lucky the oven is unharmed. But if there no change the magnetron will need to be replaced which probably would not be cost effective, cheaper to buy new unit.
The magnetron is most likely the problem, it heats the food and is the heart of the of the microwave oven, if it was followed by unusual odor more noticeable when you open the door that would confirm it, but that is not always the case. The cost to repair would exceed the cost of a new one
No heat means that the magnetron circuit has failed. It is the part the generates the microwaves that heat the food. Magnetrons replacement cost are high, usually as much as a new oven so it is rarely cost effective to repair. Sorry.
A loud sort of "groaning" noise and no heat is the sign of a bad magnetron tube. The magnetron is the microwave source, and when they go bad it's usually time to replace the oven. Most microwave repairs, especially a magnetron replacement, should be
left to professionals. There are lethal voltages under the cover, and
the chance of microwave leakage if the repair isn't done properly. With the price of a replacement tube and labor for the repair, it's often doesn't cost much more (and sometimes even less!) to buy a new oven.
Sorry I can't give you a more positive answer, but thanks for using Fixya!
Almost certainly the magnetron tube in your oven shorted and caused the light show and sound effects. This is the microwave source, and without the waves there's no heat. The tube is replaceable, but it's a costly parts. Add in repair labor, and you'd be better off replacing the oven. New ones are often cheaper than the parts alone today.
That's usually a sign the magnetron tube (the microwave source) is no longer working. While the tube is replaceable, it's usually more economical to buy a new oven. New tubes can cost up to $100, plus the repair labor.
Sounds like the magnetron has failed. There are some high voltage circuits that feed the magnetron and you can potentially get hurt if you don't know what you are doing. Would recommend you have it serviced by a professional if you want it fixed, otherwise look for a new one since the cost of repair can come close to the price of a new microwave oven.
HI, normally, when you smell the burning electrical wires and board components, this will confirm a major capacitor malfunction. in this case, all electronic component will be fried or destroyed. these parts are the running diode,magnetron tube,cut-off fuse,noise filter and control board as well. all these parts will be costly to replaced, and it will be more cost effective to just cut your loss and purchase a new unit. the newer unit will be cheaper than the actual repair bill in this case.
The sound you may be hearing could be the filament transformer breaking down or the magnetron tube failing ..they will arc and eventually fail. If you aren't getting any microwave energy ( to heat material in the cooking compartment) then in all probability it is either the transformer, magnetron or high voltage capacitor.. None of which are something you want to repair yourself... My advice is that if the cost to repair exceeds teh cost to replace then just buy a replacement model. If yours is under 1 year old, then you may be able to negotiate and get a replacement from the store where you purchased it.. If it is older than a year, it's probably cost effective to just buy a new model.