When I turn on my laptop the Dell logo comes and there is a bar under the logo that looks like it is loading but it never stops and the Windows does not come up. I will close the lid and ''shake'' the laptop and then Windows will load. This laptop is little over 4 years old.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: will not connect to windows unless I shake laptop
I have heard of similar problems such as yours...when booting up press firmly on the keyboard just under the 7 and the 8 ...sometimes that helps. Another one I heard was to make sure the all of the screws are snug one the bottom. As for shaking- I don't see that as a good thing to do, even though you get occasional results.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Shut the system down by holding the power button for 5 seconds or more. Turn the system back on, as soon as the blue dell logo goes away tap f8 on the keyboard. This should bring you to a menu from which you can select "safe mode". See if it starts in safe mode. If so, troubleshoot further from there. If not press f12 on the dell logo and choose diagnostics. Run a quick scan, see if any errors are returned for the hard drive.
You can try to boot to safemode. When you turn on system as soon as you see Dell logo keep tapping F8,select Safemode under advance boot option. If you we're able to log in to your account you can try to uninstall video driver and restart the system to normal mode then reinstall the video driver.
If you we're not able to boot to safemode , you can try to connect to external monitor toggle to FN+F8 if still not showing anything might be a bad video card.
First, I want to know if you sees the Dell logo after turning on the laptop? If yes then this is no boot issue.
1. Immediately run the PSA. Make sure laptop is off. Press and hold down the Fn key, while holding down Fn key press the power button at the same time just once. Once the Dell screen loaded you can now let go of the Fn key. Check if the PSA will run short test for the LCD, RAM and HDD. When full color displays on the screen just press Y. PSA will continue. Just take note of any error code will appear on the screen such as 0141, 0142 and 0146 these are HDD failure errors which means HDD needs replacement. If the test says no errors found then proceed to step 2;
2. Try restarting the laptop once you see dell logo then keep tapping F8. Select last known good configuration. Press enter key. Just wait and check if laptop will load Windows. If not then, restart laptop keep tapping F8 try to select safe mode check if it will load Windows. If not then prepare the Windows OS disc the one came with your laptop.
3. While laptop is on insert the Windows OS disc. Restart the computer. On the Dell screen keep tapping on F12 to show boot menu. In the boot menu select CD/DVD ROM Drive. Press enter then keep tapping on space bar until it will say Windows loading files, please wait.
4. In the User Interface it will show you some options to select. Once the Install screen comes up look on the lower part select Repair Your Computer. If will ask you to do Startup Repair, please do start up repair. If fails try the System Restore. If fails then step 5;
5. If you have important files in your HDD then back up your files first. After backing up of files you can now install the Windows OS. Here is the process in installing the Windows OS. Insert the Windows OS disc, restart the laptop, keep tapping F12 on Dell screen, on boot menu select CD/DVD ROM Drive.Install the Windows OS. Just complete the installation.After the installation install the laptop drivers.