- If Office PowerPoint 2007 is already running, save and close any open presentations, and then exit and restart PowerPoint 2007.
Find links to information about saving presentations in the See Also section.
- If Office PowerPoint 2007 isn't already running, start it now.
In the Slide
pane, you can work directly on individual slides.
Dotted borders identify placeholders
, where you can type text or insert pictures, charts, and other objects
tab shows a thumbnail
version of each full size slide shown in the Slide
pane. After you add other slides, you can click a thumbnail on the Slides
tab to make the slide appear in the Slide
pane. Or you can drag thumbnails to rearrange the slides in your presentation. You can also add or delete slides on the Slides
In the Notes pane
you can type notes about the current slide. You can hand out your notes
to your audience or refer to your notes in Presenter view when you give
By default, Office PowerPoint 2007 applies the Blank Presentation template
which appears in the preceding illustration, to new presentations.
Blank Presentation is the simplest and most generic of the templates in
Office PowerPoint 2007. Blank Presentation is a good template to use
when you first start working with PowerPoint because it is
straightforward and can be adapted to many presentation types. To create
a new presentation that is based on the Blank Presentation template,
click the Microsoft Office Button
, click New
, click Blank and recent
, and then double-click Blank Presentation
under Blank and recent
After you open the Blank Presentation template, only a small portion of the Notes
pane is visible. To see a larger portion of the Notes
pane so that you have more room to type in it, do the following:
- Point to the top border of the Notes pane.
- When the pointer becomes a , drag the border up to make a little more room for your speaker notes, as shown in the following illustration.
Name and save your presentation
As with any software program, it is a good idea to name and save your
presentation right away and then to save your changes frequently while
- Click the Microsoft Office Button , point to Save As, and then do one of the following:
- For a presentation that can be opened only in Office PowerPoint 2007, click PowerPoint Presentation.
- For a presentation that can be opened in either Office PowerPoint 2007 or earlier versions of PowerPoint, click PowerPoint 97-2003 Presentation.
If you choose this option, you cannot use any of the features that are new in Office PowerPoint 2007.
- In the Save As dialog box, in the Save in list, select the folder or other location where you want to save your presentation.
- In the File name box, type a name for your presentation, or do nothing to accept the default file name, and then click Save.
Add, rearrange, and delete slides
The single slide that is provided automatically in your presentation
has two placeholders, one formatted for a title and the other formatted
for a subtitle. The arrangement of placeholders on a slide is called a layout
. Office PowerPoint 2007 also provides other types of placeholders, such as those for pictures and SmartArt graphics.
When you add a slide to your presentation, you can do the following to choose a layout for the new slide at the same time:
- On the Slides tab, click just below the single slide that already appears there.
- On the Home tab, in the Slides group, click the arrow next to New Slide.
The name identifies the content that each layout is designed for.
that display colored icons can contain text, but you can also click the
icons to automatically insert objects, including SmartArt graphics and clip art
- Click the layout that you want for your new slide.
The new slide now appears both on the Slides tab, where it is highlighted as the current slide, and in the Slide pane. Repeat this procedure for each new slide that you want to add.
Tip If you want your new slide to have the same layout that the preceding slide has, you can just click New Slide instead of clicking the arrow next to it.