GE microwv-doesn't heat, strong electrical smell, all else ok
This is an above stove microwave, about 5 years old, model JVM1430BD002. Has worked perfect, never any problems until today, went to heat up some coffee for one minute. Noticed it 'hummed' a little differently, and after the minute, there was a strong electrical smell and it didn't heat the coffee.
Always taken good care of it, we fix most things ourselves, but unfamiliar with microwaves. Any suggestions?
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has answered 500 questions.
Re: GE microwv-doesn't heat, strong electrical smell, all...
The smell most likely indicates a shorted high voltage rectifier, or the high voltage/filiament transformer is self-destructing. Normally, magnetrons do not emit an odor when they fail. However, arcing high voltage wire near the magnetron could.
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones). click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Good luck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I'm all for fixing appliances but in your case I would suggest replacement. After 24 years of service the magnetron is probably only putting out half of its rated wattage. It could also be one of the reasons of the no heat condition.
You may need a new microwave..however, the diode may be defective or the magnatron tube may need replacing,,The magnatron tube is only warranted for 5 years so it may be used up as the model is (10years)fairly old.
Usually there are 3 or 4 mounting bolts located in the floor of the cabinet above. First you will have to disconnect the power and then the duck work if the unit is ventde to the outside. To remove the unit requires two people, one to support the unit and the other to remove the bolts. If you are doing it alone, quite difficult, you'll have to juryrig a deadman support. Ther is a wall plate behind the unit that has a lip that the back bottom of the microwve is locked into. After the bolts are removed slowly lower the front until you are able free the unit from the lip of the support plate.
Assuming your inside light and turntable come on when you try to microwave, with the symptoms you
have, I would most strongly suspect a shorted high voltage rectifier
diode or a bad magnetron, or a loose and possibly corroded connection on the magnetron's terminal.
If you or someone you
decide to look into it, we have critical safety information and
disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa.
should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit
control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is
very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.
our Web site, we have a video
available showing how to remove a typical
over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
Here are some links you
or someone you know can use for test help, but read their safety
it's within the magnetron portion of the warranty (usually 5-9 years)
but out of the original full warranty (usually 1 year), then your
manufacturer will cover the part cost, but not the cost to visit you or
the labor charge to do the work.
Some manufacturers will
send you the magnetron to do it yourself. If
nothing else, you can save about $75 by taking it to the shop yourself.
Accessing some components for testing and possible replacement will require you to remove the oven from the wall.
so, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have
two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.
You can download GE
owner's manuals and installation instructions here.
GE Customer Service is here if you want to check no the warranty or find a local servicer.
to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating
of our answer.
Chances are you have a magnetron that's failing.
GE had a rash of "underperforming" magnetrons on these units.
They replace the magnetron, stirrer and high-voltage diode at no charge for parts as long as a GE-authorized service center does the work.
Sometimes the unit gets run too long in a failing state and the waveguide and chassis of the oven get damaged. The bulletin shows you where tyo check.
To see if yours is covered, see this bulletin: http://www.microwavedisplay.com/ge_mw_mag_kit_bulletin.pdf
Otherwise, you need to contact GE Customer Relations at 1-800-386-1215 as soon as possible and tell them your problem and they will put you in touch with a local authorized servicer.