O.k. first the key. Most likely the retainer has come loose. Take the key off and check the if the retainer is broken, if so, then you will need to contact Compaq support for a new one. If it's not broken, take the key off the retainer, put the retainer back on the board, and place the key in it's general position and press. It will snap into place. If you can't figure out how they retainer fits, then take another key off, be careful
to just remove the key leaving the retainer. This will give you a view of how the retainer goes on the board.
Now for the sound. You must do this in order to get the sound working with XP:
This model of Presario has an audio controller
the high definition audio
. You need to have Microsoft Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) bus driver for high definition audio installed on the computer
before installing the audio driver.
Here is the link for the Microsoft
Universal Audio Architecture driver that need to be installed before installing the audio driver
After installing the UAA driver from the above links you have
to restart the notebook
and then install Conexant high definition
audio driver from the following link :
Installing the audio drivers may result in an error, but continue
with the following steps to get the audio driver installed correctly.
1. Click on Start and select Run. Now type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
2. Right click on "audio device on high definition audio bus" and click update driver.
3. Select "install from a list or specific location"
4. Click next. Then select "don't search, I will choose the driver to install"
5. Click next and then select "sound, video and game
controller" from the list.
6. Click next and then click have disk.
7. Click browse C:swsetupsp34200 folder and select the .inf file and click open and continue with the on screen instructions.