Question about Microwave Ovens
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
The symptoms you are describing are typical of a magnetron that has gone bad. Continuing to attempt to use the oven in its current condition can cause further damage. So, I would recommend not using it. Microwave ovens are considered dangerous and repairs should not be attempted by anyone that is not electronic saavy. The High Voltage Network inside the oven has voltage potentials of 14,000 volts and higher. If you feel this is something you wish to attempt, the Magnetron part number is 1156751 and costs approx. $158. Keep in mind, if the magnetron has been arcing and making a burning smell you may have burned the protective coating that lines the walls of the waveguide. If the waveguide is damaged it is not repairable. I do not know if this is a replaceable item on your model microwave. Double check your warranty information and/or owner's manual. In many cases the magnetron is warranted for several years beyond the limited warranty that comes with most appliances. Post back with comments and let me know if you want me to assist you further. In addition, if you provide me with your EXACT model number (located along the door opening) I can narrow down parts a little better. I know this all sounds discouraging, but I do hope I have been able to help you.
Posted on Jan 15, 2008
Sounds like the magnatron (the bit that creates microwaves) could be goosed. Remove outer cover ( Isolate from the electric supply then remove screws at bottom on the sides).
Find big lump that says on magnatron with model nos etc on, any good electrical supply shop ( Maplins etc) should stock new one.
It is easy to change. It took me about half an hour having never done one before.
Buyer beware the price of the parts could be in excess of a new microwave.
Posted on Sep 15, 2009
When your microwave oven won't cook your food, and, you hear a loud buzzing sound, it’s normally caused by a faulty (a) diode (b) high-voltage capacitor (b) magnetron.
The diode would be the most likely culprit of the three components. It’s also by far the cheapest!
Posted on Sep 22, 2009
Testimonial: "Great prompt advice. Speed of reply was awesome. "
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 03, 2016 | Whirlpool Accuwave Microwave Oven
Mar 21, 2014 | Electrolux Microwave Ovens
Jan 23, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Sep 21, 2009 | Whirlpool MH6140XK Microwave Oven
May 12, 2009 | Dacor DMT2420SS Microwave Oven
Mar 05, 2009 | Kenmore 62622 Microwave Oven
Jan 06, 2009 | Kenmore 62622 Microwave Oven
Mar 20, 2007 | Kenmore 62622 Microwave Oven
205 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!